posted to rec.boats.building
Andrew Butchart

Default Making a rudder and dagger-board (newbie)

wrote in message
oups.com...

Andrew Butchart wrote:
There's a couple of different ways to make a kick-up rudder. The most
common is to use a case with the rudder on a pivot in the middle.

There's a
couple of pictures of one I built at
http://www.floatingbear.ca/MiniCupModifications.htm. You may also want

check out Jim Michelak's free online newsletters for more ideas -
http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/

BTW - I've used barn-boards (1 X 12 pine) that is easily available to me

as
rudders and daggerboards and they've been inexpensive and worked well.

--
Andrew Butchart

Now, that looks like a fairly simple design. What did you use for the
sides of the rudder box? Luan, or marine plywood? Or something else?
And what did you finish the wood with? Also, what would make an
inexpensive substitute for a hockey stick for a tiller? Does it have to
be hardwood, or would more of the "barn board" work? And what did you
use for hinges? It looks like the hinge hookups on the Snark are two
metal tabs with holes drilled through them vertically, like one long
pin (or 2 short ones) is supposed to drop through them. Thanks!

I just used 1/4" luan for the sides of the rudder box. I coat the inside of
the box with resin (I use polyester - epoxy is better though - although more
expensive). The rudder itself got coated with resin and then painted with
rust pain.

One thing I like about old hockey sticks for tillers is not only are they
free and available here in Canada, but the better ones include fiberglass
laminates. A lot of people use axe handles for a tiller as well - I've
sailed on a boat with one of those and they're quite comfortable in your
hand.

There are lots of ways to attach the rudder to the boat - it sounds like you
have a typical gudgeon and pintle arrangement. You might want to check out
Duckworks -
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/p-g/index.htm

You could also consider putting two small eye-bolts on the front of your
rudder box spaced so they fit between the metal tabs. A piece of metal rod
through can then act as a pivot. I have a blurry picture of one I built
like that at - http://www.floatingbear.ca/sailingfi...gue/000833.JPG

--
Andrew Butchart

posted to rec.boats.building

Andrew Butchart wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Andrew Butchart wrote:
[...]

Thanks! Now, if I can solve my mast problem I can hopefully get the
boat sailing before summer ends!

posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

A 2 inch mast can be made from a single "2 x 4" (1½" x 3½"). Rip a 1½ x 2
from it, then rip the cut-off into two 1/4" pieces and epoxy them to the
sides. The notches will be trimmed when you plane off the corners as part
of the 8-siding operation.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

wrote:

Thanks! Now, if I can solve my mast problem I can hopefully get the
boat sailing before summer ends!

posted to rec.boats.building
Ed Edelenbos

Wasn't this for a Snark? Go get a couple lengths of antenna pole and be
done with it. All that epoxying and stuff is more than the boat is worth.

Ed

--
When replying via email, replace spam with speak in the address.
.. .

Ed Edelenbos wrote:
Wasn't this for a Snark? Go get a couple lengths of antenna pole and be
done with it. All that epoxying and stuff is more than the boat is worth.

Ed

I've never seen antenna mast that was 2-3/8" diameter, which is the
size of a stock mast. Closest thing I've found so far is 2" (nominal)
aluminum pipe. Schedule 40 has a .154" wall thickness.

As for "more than the boat is worth", isn't that a rather subjective
statement? Mind you, I'm new to this sailing thing, but it's the only
sailing boat I've got and likely will be for some time, so I've got to
make the best of it.

posted to rec.boats.building
Ed Edelenbos

wrote in message
ups.com...

Ed Edelenbos wrote:
Wasn't this for a Snark? Go get a couple lengths of antenna pole and be
done with it. All that epoxying and stuff is more than the boat is
worth.

Ed

I've never seen antenna mast that was 2-3/8" diameter, which is the
size of a stock mast. Closest thing I've found so far is 2" (nominal)
aluminum pipe. Schedule 40 has a .154" wall thickness.

As for "more than the boat is worth", isn't that a rather subjective
statement? Mind you, I'm new to this sailing thing, but it's the only
sailing boat I've got and likely will be for some time, so I've got to
make the best of it.

Maybe you have a different Snark than I have. Mine uses a 1" diameter
aluminum mast. It is similar to:

http://www.castlecraft.com/super_snark.htm

I'm just saying that unless you got into the hobby to work on boats (a fine
hobby in it's own right), a lot of the work described here (so far) would
take the up a good deal of the season (and I would reserve for a much nicer
boat). I just want to go for boat rides in my boats. Repair and
maintainance is a necessity... not the impetus for owning boats.

As long as you are having fun... have at it!

Ed

posted to rec.boats.building

Ed Edelenbos wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Ed Edelenbos wrote:
[...]

Hmm... kinda like owning an older snowmobile - you don't want to spend
half the season fixing it up (speaking from experience here...)

The Snark I have is the Sunchaser. It is the biggest model they make,
with a capacity for up to 4 adults (900 lbs). It also has provisions
for oars, and will take up to a 5hp outboard as well. The Sunchaser I
has a 72 square-foot lateen sail (the Sunfish sail I'm going to use is
75 square-feet - doubt that will make much difference), while the
Sunchaser II has a sloop-rig, with a, 80 square-foot mainsail (don't
remember what size the jibsail is). The hulls are identical, though,
and the sail rigs are interchangeable.

posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

Careful here. The Sunfish sail was nominally 75 square feet, but actually
measured about 90. The newer sails are about 95.

In my Sunfish, I remember one day when I literally sailed in circles around
a couple of young women in a Snark. I heard one of them tell the other "I
don't know what he's doing!"

Evil. Fun!

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm