posted to rec.boats.building
John

Default What Size "Canoe Joint" Shaper Cutters?

Hi,

All the woodworking catalogs that I get show canoe joint router bits but
make no mention of shaper cutters. What size cove and bead set do you
folks recommend that I look for and who do you prefer to buy them from?
I have recently inherited an older Craftsman shaper.

Thanks,

J.
posted to rec.boats.building
Dave W

I know not about canoe joints but I hope you enjoy your older Craftsman
shaper. I have one also and have found it to be a versatile tool....very
underrated in this day of the router.

posted to rec.boats.building
Brian

usually you use 1/4 inch strips so the best is 1/4 cutters. that is what
most of the ones for routers are.

Brian

posted to rec.boats.building

John,

I have been reading and planning to build a strip-built kayak someday
and I think part of the answer to your question is: The bead and cove
size has to be the same as the thickness of the wood strips.

That is to say, that you want a 1/4" bead and cove set for 1/4" thick
strips. Use a larger size if you will be using thicker planking.

Hope this helps,

Paul

posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin

If the strips are to be milled on the flat, you want a bullnose and a
fluting cutter of the same thickness as the strips. 1/4" is generally used
for strip canoes.

If there's any variation in the thickness of your strips, mill both edges
with the same face to the table and plank the boat with that face inward.
That way, all of the variation will be on the outside of the boat where it
can be dealt with in the fairing.

The nominal dimension of the
ps.com...