Andrew Butchart

Default Wooden Sit On Top

"Matt Langenfeld" wrote in message
nk.net...
Making some good progress. Sanding and fairing is next (finally).

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft

Looking good - can't wait to see it finished. What kind of hull weight are
you expecting?

--
Andrew Butchart

http://www.floatingbear.ca

Bowgus

Now that is cool ... of course, the first thing that occurs to me is to turn
that square compartment into a dry well ... for a trolling motor. And when
not in use, just put a plate on the bottom :-)

"Matt Langenfeld" wrote in message
nk.net...
Making some good progress. Sanding and fairing is next (finally).

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft
http://jem.e-boat.net/

----

Matt Langenfeld

Weighed it today. About 61 pounds. I rushed some the internal
construction so my glassing may not have been optimum.

I wish I would have used Okoume but I used Eurolite (poplar) to see what
the stuff was like. I orginally planned this one as a sit-inside but
enough people wanted to see a wooden SOT. Plus it "proves" the plans I
sell for it are worthy. Well at least in my mind. ;P

I used 1/4" Eurolite but 3/16" Okoume will work and I believe is
stronger than the 1/4" Eurolite. I don't have scrap piece of Okoume to
do any real testing. Eurolite has alomst a balsa feel to it.

So with a more patient builder than I and going with 3/16" Okoume, I bet
you could get it around 50 lbs. I'm proud of this one even at 61 lbs
because if you compare it to other 16', 31" wide SOTs, it's still a lot
lighter. Incidently, I think the manufacturers understate what their
boats weigh but that's another topic.

I'll post some more photos soon. I'm in the home stretch!

If you're near Greensboro, NC and want to try her out, drop me an email.

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft

Andrew Butchart wrote:
"Matt Langenfeld" wrote in message
nk.net...

Making some good progress. Sanding and fairing is next (finally).

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft
http://jem.e-boat.net/

Looking good - can't wait to see it finished. What kind of hull weight are
you expecting?

Matt Langenfeld

You could do that easily. Just damn off the back off the tankwell
bulkhead. You'd need some extra bracing inside the "motor mount" area
but nothing too bad.

Darn it now you got me tempted! ;p

Bowgus wrote:

Now that is cool ... of course, the first thing that occurs to me is to turn
that square compartment into a dry well ... for a trolling motor. And when
not in use, just put a plate on the bottom :-)

"Matt Langenfeld" wrote in message
nk.net...

Making some good progress. Sanding and fairing is next (finally).

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft
http://jem.e-boat.net/

----

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft
http://jem.e-boat.net/

Bowgus

Speaking of trolling motors, the neatest thing I've ever saw was a canoe
with diy rudder with the lower part of the trolling motor built into the
rudder. Controls were inside the canoe, steering was via ropes. The great
think about that configuration is the manouverability.

If you do add the drywell/motor consider that steering using the motor will
be ... not possible. I used either my weight or a paddle to steer my
canoe/trolling motor. And whatever you do, don't turn the motor at 90
degrees to the yak, or you'll roll like a log (and if you know all this
already, no offense intended).

Ok, so, how about instead of the drywell, a (removeable) rudder/motor combo
as described above, and put the battery where that drywell was gonna go ...
whoa ... now that would be too cool ... cruising along at about 10 knots,
dipping the paddle now and then, waving adios to those other paddlers left
behind in your wake wondering ... what the ???

ink.net...

Bowgus wrote:

Now that is cool ... of course, the first thing that occurs to me is to

turn
that square compartment into a dry well ... for a trolling motor. And

when
not in use, just put a plate on the bottom :-)

"Matt Langenfeld" wrote in message
nk.net...

Making some good progress. Sanding and fairing is next (finally).

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft
http://jem.e-boat.net/

----

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft
http://jem.e-boat.net/

Matt Langenfeld

I've seen those combos. Guy up in Canada makes them.

Mounting a trolling motor on a yak has been done.

http://www.martialartsacademy.org/qu...ctrickayak.htm

This one is a side-mount.

Bowgus wrote:

Now that is cool ... of course, the first thing that occurs to me is to

turn

that square compartment into a dry well ... for a trolling motor. And

when

not in use, just put a plate on the bottom :-)

"Matt Langenfeld" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Making some good progress. Sanding and fairing is next (finally).

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft
http://jem.e-boat.net/

----

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft
http://jem.e-boat.net/

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft
http://jem.e-boat.net/

Backyard Renegade

Bowgus wrote:

Now that is cool ... of course, the first thing that occurs to me is to turn
that square compartment into a dry well ... for a trolling motor. And when
not in use, just put a plate on the bottom :-)

"Matt Langenfeld" wrote in message
nk.net...

Making some good progress. Sanding and fairing is next (finally).

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft
http://jem.e-boat.net/

----

Are you advising a newbie to add a motor and 60 lbs of battery to the
aft end of a long thin boat? Crazy...
Scotty
If the boat does not do what you are supposed to do, you are probably
looking at the wrong boat!

Bowgus

I've seen newbies in 30' twin engine boats that travel in excess of 90 mph
.... tell me THAT isn't crazy.

Ok, you are right ... to be on the safe side better mount a buoy and line
somewhere so that when she goes down, she'll be easy to locate :-) Although,
since it's electric, I imagine it could travel a few miles under water
before getting hung up. Hmmm ... are you thinking what I'm thinking?

About the canoe and Canada ... I saw the canoe a few years ago at a show in
Merrikville, Ontario ... Canada, eh.

om...

-----
If the boat does not do what you are supposed to do, you are probably
looking at the wrong boat!

-----

I have used a trolling motor with my 15-1/2 foot pirogue. It works great but
not worth the effort when I can tool around just as easy with a paddle. Low
tech...{:O) Mike
e.rogers.com...

Bowgus wrote:

Now that is cool ... of course, the first thing that occurs to me is

turn
that square compartment into a dry well ... for a trolling motor. And

when
not in use, just put a plate on the bottom :-)

"Matt Langenfeld" wrote in message
nk.net...

Making some good progress. Sanding and fairing is next (finally).

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft
http://jem.e-boat.net/

----

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft
http://jem.e-boat.net/

Wooden Boat Building Book on Ebay larry Boat Building 0 May 15th 04 02:19 AM
Wooden Boat Builder Kruez Boat Building 0 March 30th 04 03:50 PM
rebuilding wooden boats in Muskoka Canada james steles Boat Building 0 January 22nd 04 02:26 AM
Wooden Boat Forum Gafffer General 0 September 17th 03 10:57 AM
Sailor's tattoo, must be married too long, Wooden Boat Festival Gould 0738 General 2 September 10th 03 06:38 PM