BoatBanter.com

-   -   Plywood Composite Boats (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6981-plywood-composite-boats.html)

JAGJR May 14th 04 02:06 AM

Plywood Composite Boats

In regard to plywood/composite construction, have any large boats ever been
built using this method?

I'm thinking about "large" to mean any large pleasure or commercial boats

As an example, does the Navy have any composite boats in its fleet?

Any commercial fisherman on a composite boat?

Are there any "composite constructed" Head Boats out there?

Composite construction might save time and money but you need to consider
longevity too ? Correct?

I have been told a real boat deserves to be kept in the water; however, also
been told plywood (composite) needs to be kept out of the water as much as
possible !

So ....it's difficult getting an answer in regard to composite
contstruction.

Anybody have any knowledge of these type boats/construction that have been
in service for more than a couple years?

Lew Hodgett May 14th 04 03:05 AM

Plywood Composite Boats

"JAGJR" writes:
In regard to plywood/composite construction, have any large boats ever

been
built using this method?

I'm thinking about "large" to mean any large pleasure or commercial boats

snip

Yard down the street builds power boats in plywood.

They don't screw around with anything under 90 ft.

Detroit Diesel was paid $1.5M for a pair of engines that went in the last
boat they delivered.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

William R. Watt May 14th 04 03:31 AM

Plywood Composite Boats

could try looking at www.devlinboats.com

as for plywood navy boats, the fist I know of were Patrol Torpedo (PT)
boats used in World War II (1939-45) using the waterproof wood glues
developed in the 1930's (resocinol and urea formaldehyde)

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Chris Newport May 14th 04 09:53 AM

Plywood Composite Boats

On Friday 14 May 2004 2:06 am in rec.boats.building JAGJR wrote:

In regard to plywood/composite construction, have any large boats ever
been built using this method?

I'm thinking about "large" to mean any large pleasure or commercial boats

Google for "wharram catamarans".
They come in sizes up to 65 feet and many have circumnavigated.

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently

schippertje May 14th 04 12:39 PM

Plywood Composite Boats

In article ,
weet ons te melden...
In regard to plywood/composite construction, have any large boats ever been
built using this method?

I'm thinking about "large" to mean any large pleasure or commercial boats

As an example, does the Navy have any composite boats in its fleet?\

If you're thinking that the fact that 'large boats' made in plywood form
a minority in the 'large boats' category, means that plywood or
composite construction is inferior to steel or solid wood, you're making
a mistake.

Every construction method has it's pro's and con's and often these are
related tot the size of the vessel. Small boats in steel are not good in
size to weight ratio, for instance. The advantages of steel begin to
weigh in for boats over 40 feet.
Solid wood is expensive to build and requires a lot more maintenance and
care.

I have been told a real boat deserves to be kept in the water; however, also
been told plywood (composite) needs to be kept out of the water as much as
possible !

You've probably been talking to some old salty traditionalist.
What he meant is that a boat made out of solid wood is best kept in the
water permanently. Boats made out of solid wood often leak when they
have been ashore for some time and are launched again.
The part about keeping a composite boat on dry land as much as possible
is no longer true, if it ever was.
There is a slight exeption: a GRP boat (polyester and glasfibre) could
live longer if you let it dry out in the cold season. It reduces the
chance on osmosis.
Plywood boats, sealed with epoxy (ideally covered in epoxy and
glasscloth) can live in the water or on dry land with no problem for
indefinite periods of time.

Anybody have any knowledge of these type boats/construction that have been
in service for more than a couple years?

There are plenty. Look at the boats Sam Devlin builds, for instance
(
http://www.devlinboat.com/).

--
schippertje

Jacques May 14th 04 06:32 PM

Plywood Composite Boats

"JAGJR" wrote in message news
So ....it's difficult getting an answer in regard to composite
contstruction.

It's easy to get an answer on our message board. We discuss nothing
else than composite boat building. There are around 50,000 messages
about that and more than 80 tutorials and HowTo files, some 10 pages
long.

See http://bateau2.com

Jacques

May 15th 04 01:00 AM

Plywood Composite Boats

JagJr

I have a 1964 ChrisCraft Sea Strake, which sports a plywood lower hull with
the lapping sea strake upper hull.

I would gather, by your description this could be considered to be a "large"
pleasure boat. If you conceder 31 foot to be "large".

Because of the construction of this particular vessel, she needs to be in
the water as much as possible to maintain the swelling of the wood to stop
her from leaking.

http://www.wildhorse-webdesign.com/boat if you care to take a look

JAGJR May 15th 04 01:39 AM

Plywood Composite Boats

That's a pretty boat and I enjoyed looking at your photos. It's neat the
way you parked your truck by the side of your boat. It gives the viewer a
good idea about the relative size of your boat.

A question I have is this ...you say, "....which sports a plywood lower hull
with the lapping sea strake upper hull."

If the lower hull is plywood and the upper "lapping ( I assume maybe
lapping plywood strakes, does that mean the lower hull is sheet plywood? If
so why "she needs to be in the water as much as possible to maintain the
swelling of the wood to stop her from leaking."

I'm impressed about the longevity of your boat if it's truly built out of
plywood.

However, it's not a composite boat. My question is about boats that are
truly composite construction.

Thanks for the truly interesting photos and response and best regards !!

Brian D May 15th 04 05:58 PM

Plywood Composite Boats

In the book Devlin's Boat Building, Sam Devlin states that boats over 90'
have been built using these methods.

Brian

--
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass -- My 22' Tolman Skiff project
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/catalog -- Discounted System Three

..
"JAGJR" wrote in message
[...]

May 15th 04 09:32 PM

Plywood Composite Boats

She has a solid Mahogany Keel, plywood sheet bottom and solid Mahogany
strakes. To keep the keel swelled up and to maintain the pressure from the
swelling on the plywood, she must stay in the water.

JAGJR May 15th 04 11:46 PM

Plywood Composite Boats

Thank you; that's interesting. And the plywood bottom survived after all
these years. I now have more respect for plywood as a boat building
material.

Intuition tells me the hull wasn't sheathed in glass/epoxy ...or was it ?

Also, I imagine a boat its size remained in the water during the boating
season instead of being "trailered".

I've read a lot about the need to keep a plywood boat out of the water, as
much as possible, in order to expect any longevity.

Maybe this boat is an aberration but I hope not. I'm
considering to build a composite plywood hull and will keep docked it in
salt water for six months out of the year.

I was told this wouldn't work. I was told to put it in at the beginning of
the day and take it out at the end.

I'm starting to feel a little more confident in plywood composite hulls.

May 16th 04 01:08 AM

Plywood Composite Boats

Actually, this boat was in the water from the first launch until about 5
years ago when it started the refinishing...(I think 354 years in the water
is a good testament) I just bought it a few months ago and haven't gotten
it into the water yet, but did put a garden hose into it last weekend to see
if I would have reason to worry when I re-launch her this summer... Well
lets just say I am planning on extra bilge pumps... She is showing a few
leaks!!!

Hoping she swells up fast!!!

Matt/Meribeth Pedersen May 16th 04 03:57 AM

Plywood Composite Boats

The Thunderbird sailboat was designed in the 1950's and still
has a strong class going in the Us Pacific Northwest. There
are still many plywood Thunderbirds out there. These boats live
in the water year round.

Gordon Couger May 16th 04 06:45 PM

Plywood Composite Boats

"Brian D" wrote in message
In the book Devlin's Boat Building, Sam Devlin states that boats over 90'
have been built using these methods.

Brian

When I think of Plywood composite boats I think of plywood as the core
material for a fiberglass lay up. Plywood is stronger than most cores and
this strength is probably use in the structure of the boat so it is
important that it remain dry an rot free. Not easy things to do over a long
period of time. As long as it retains its structural integrity you can dry
out cores by drilling holes ever few inches and vacuum bagging the hull
until is stops loosing weight. The hot summer sun will help.

As a core material plywood is a pretty good one it is inexpensive, strong,
reasonably easy to work and not subject to catastrophic failure that plagues
some other core materials when they encounter slamming loads.

Even better is veneer that can be treated with a borate solution to rot
proof it and laid up with epoxy to water proof it for a lighter, stronger
more expensive and more durable core.

Gordon

JAGJR May 16th 04 08:06 PM

Plywood Composite Boats

Is there a source(s) I can go to to learn how to treat a veneer with a
borate solution?

Rick Tyler May 22nd 04 05:49 AM

Plywood Composite Boats

On Sun, 16 May 2004 00:08:45 GMT, wrote:

Actually, this boat was in the water from the first launch until about 5
years ago when it started the refinishing...(I think 354 years in the water
is a good testament)

Dude! That beats the USS CONSTITUTION by about 140 years!! Kewl!!

- Rick "I only make fun of tpyos that are truly funny" Tyler

--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian

May 24th 04 05:54 PM

Plywood Composite Boats

Oppps... I missed on that one!!!

Was supposed to be 35 years

Old Nick May 25th 04 03:25 AM

Plywood Composite Boats

On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:54:48 GMT, vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Oppps... I missed on that one!!!

Was supposed to be 35 years

You have to be very careful I thought you meant 3_4_ years and I was
totally confused about why you would think that was so wonderful! G

"Rick Tyler" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 16 May 2004 00:08:45 GMT, wrote:

Actually, this boat was in the water from the first launch until about 5
years ago when it started the refinishing...(I think 354 years in the

water
is a good testament)

Dude! That beats the USS CONSTITUTION by about 140 years!! Kewl!!

- Rick "I only make fun of tpyos that are truly funny" Tyler

--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad

May 25th 04 10:09 PM

Plywood Composite Boats

Sorry, it wasn't my intention to confuse anyone!!! G

Jacques May 26th 04 02:02 PM

Plywood Composite Boats

"Gordon Couger" wrote in message news:yMNpc.31057$bS1.19364@okepread02...
"Brian D" wrote in message
In the book Devlin's Boat Building, Sam Devlin states that boats over 90'
have been built using these methods.

Brian

When I think of Plywood composite boats I think of plywood as the core
material for a fiberglass lay up. Plywood is stronger than most cores and
this strength is probably use in the structure of the boat so it is
important that it remain dry an rot free. Not easy things to do over a long
period of time.

Good thinking: Devlin designs plywood boats glued together with epoxy
and glass. Plywood cored boats with epoxy/glass skins are very
different. It is correct that in small boats, we use the properties of
the core. It is an hybrid material, between plywood and sandwich.
About large ones: once you get to 25-28', a foam core is a better
choice. Lighter, stronger, no risk of rot.
That is why se stop using plywood in that size range.

Jacques from bateau.com

JAXAshby May 27th 04 01:18 AM

Plywood Composite Boats

Lighter, stronger, no risk of rot.
That is why se stop using plywood in that size range.

jacques, boats with balsa cored decks virtually ALL become squishy soft over
time. boats with plywood cored decks almost never do, and those that do, do so
only in small areas. plywood cored decks are almost as long-lived as solid
fiberglass decks, and weigh less.

Have heard repeatedly from highly experienced, long term naval architects that
plywood hulls covered inside/outside and between plywood sheets are stronger
pound for pound than most any other material out there. About the only thing
that beats ply is damned expensive composites.

Very few plywood boats out there, though. People think they are wood and
therefore won't build they from scratch and won't buy used ones.

DSK May 27th 04 02:40 AM

Plywood Composite Boats

JAXAshby wrote:
jacques, boats with balsa cored decks virtually ALL become squishy soft over
time.

This is as true as anything else Jax posts.

Have heard repeatedly from highly experienced, long term naval architects that
plywood hulls covered inside/outside and between plywood sheets are stronger
pound for pound than most any other material out there.

That must explain why all the America's Cup boats are built from plywood.

Very few plywood boats out there, though. People think they are wood and
therefore won't build they from scratch and won't buy used ones.

Yep plywood boats are so rare that they are really a tremendous novelty.
I bet that nobody here knows as much about building boats from plywood
as *you* do, Jax!

DSK

Jacques May 27th 04 01:56 PM

Plywood Composite Boats

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
dougies, so sleep it off

Jax,do I have to report you to Opalcat again?
;-)
FIY:
http://fathom.org/teemingmillions/jax.html

Jacques from bateau.com

Matt Langenfeld May 28th 04 12:40 AM

Plywood Composite Boats

http://fathom.org/teemingmillions/jaxascii.html

That's just disturbing.

Jacques wrote:
(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...

dougies, so sleep it off

Jax,do I have to report you to Opalcat again?
;-)
FIY:
http://fathom.org/teemingmillions/jax.html

Jacques from bateau.com

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft

Stephen Baker May 28th 04 02:19 AM

Plywood Composite Boats

Matt says:

That's just disturbing.

Yeah, Jax hits most people that way. ;-)

Steve

JAXAshby May 28th 04 04:26 AM

Plywood Composite Boats

That's just disturbing.

yeah, she describeds herself as a , fat tatooed ex-stripper who lives an upper
middle class lifestyle in a trailer house in a VA or NC hillbilly area where
her electricity has been turned off for non-payment of the bill.

her site is registered via another site owned by her current husband -- using a
phony address and phony phone number -- through a site registration mill in
Switzerland.

Is that the kind of woman you like? fat. tatooed? Living in a trailer house
in the hills? with the electricity turned off?

you are a sick puppy, matt. does your mother know who your father was?

JAXAshby May 28th 04 04:29 AM

Plywood Composite Boats

Yeah, Jax hits most people that way. ;-)

Steve

yet, stevie dude brags -- on his website -- about "working on" (meaning sanding
the keel?) Coyote, a boat on which the keel fell off, killing Mike Plant, a
high school friend of my sister.

way to go, stevei.

JAXAshby May 29th 04 05:04 PM

Plywood Composite Boats

don't confuse you with any facts, is that right mattie?

maybe, mattie, you find fat, tattooed ex-strippers living in a trailor park to
upscale for you? well, if that is you meat have at it.

Matt Langenfeld May 29th 04 05:44 PM

Plywood Composite Boats

Well! I had no idea my personal life was of such interest. If you must
know, then let's begin.

"maybe, mattie, you find fat, tattooed ex-strippers living in a trailor
park to upscale for you? well, if that is you meat have at it."

-fat: I'm attracted to height/weight proportional women
-tattooed: if done within good taste and quality
-ex-strippers: not the career choice I'd prefer but who am I to judge?
-trailor park: not the residence I'd prefer but who am I to judge?
-had electricity turned off: Most people have had some financial trouble
at some time. This attribute is not a deciding factor for me.

anything else I can answer for ya?

JAXAshby May 30th 04 01:43 AM

Plywood Composite Boats

matt, you need to log in to the latts and atts board. that is where the
scooter trash/trailer trash hangs out. people on this ng brush their teeth
several times a week and are known to change their underwear before it smells.

OpalCat June 29th 04 01:52 AM

Open letter to JAX to finally clear up some things... Was: Plywood Composite Boats

Apologies to everyone else on the list for the length of this rather
off topic missive...

JAX, are you still on about this? I don't know where your brains
leaked out but your memory is so faulty it makes the baby Jesus cry.
Get out a pencil and take notes, because here are the facts:

1. I have never had a tattoo. Here is a picture of me (taken May 16,
2004) that shows enough skin to prove that, I think:
http://tinyurl.com/3abc3 (warning, don't look if you're at work)

2. I live in Northern Virginia, in the Washington DC suburbs, where I
have lived since 1997. When I first moved here I lived in an
apartment, then I rented a townhouse, now I own this townhouse:
http://tinyurl.com/275fq about 10 minutes from a Metro station into
DC. I have never lived in a trailer in my life. I have never lived
anywhere rural in my life. Prior to living here, I lived in Tucson, AZ
(population around a million.)

3. I'm not a hillbilly. I had always been a city girl, until I moved
here to the suburbs. My neighbors are soccer moms and so on, not
hillbillies. My mother was born in Brooklyn, raised in Larchmont NY,
and is currently an attorney in Tucson. My father is a mechanical
engineer. My grandfather was a doctor in New York. This is how I dress
when I go out dancing in DC on the weekends: http://tinyurl.com/2kghw
(taken in April)

4. Yes, my power was shut off once. It was turned on later the same
day. This has happened to a lot of people... why do you harp on it so?

5. My sites--about 25 of them--are owned by me. Some are registered in
my husband's name, yes (current husband? Try ONLY husband. 13 years
and counting.) but most are in my own name. Fathom.org is one of our
oldest domains, and he handled such things at the time which is why it
is in his name.

6. The registrar we use is in France, not Switzerland, and we use it
because it was cheaper than any US based registrars at the time we
chose it. There are cheaper ones now, but it's still a good price at
€12/anually and we are happy with their service.

7. I'm not fat, though I did gain weight for a few years following my
pregnancy. At present I weigh 115lbs. Reference:
http://tinyurl.com/24e6t (photo taken in April of this year)

8. I have no idea where you get this "upper middle class lifestyle"
you keep going on about. I've never said such a thing in my life. In
fact, if I say anything about my lifestyle at all I tend to make it
sounds worse than it is. I've never been impressed by money, though,
and have never had the urge to pretend I was "upper" anything. Of all
of your fabrications, this one puzzles me the most.

9. You're still an arrogant, ignorant asshole.

JAXAshby June 29th 04 03:11 AM

Open letter to JAX to finally clear up some things... Was: Plywood Composite Boats

and you are still violating the law. what else is new?

btw, why did you register your site to your husband's site, each with a
fictional phone number and a Post Office Box #? Do you not know the the name
and address of the boxholder of record of any USPS mail box is available just
for the asking?

Opal has been angry with me since I (long, long, long ago) made the comment
(not aimed at her, nor at any possible prior career as a stripper) that I
didn't envy hookers for the variety of men they have sex with because hookers
only get to have sex with the men no other woman wants.

And opal continues to violate the law. she might lose all her sites for that.

I still don't envy hookers. They have a crummy job. Rumor has it they don't
enjoy it either.

JAXAshby June 29th 04 03:52 AM

Open letter to JAX to finally clear up some things... Was: Plywood Composite Boats

do you suppose that opal has taken up boating in her dotage?

And this all has what to do with boat building? I missed something here.

OpalCat June 29th 04 10:39 AM

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
and you are still violating the law. what else is new?

btw, why did you register your site to your husband's site, each with a
fictional phone number and a Post Office Box #?

My husband doesn't have a site, so I don't know what you're talking
about. Also, what do you mean "register your site to your husband's
site" ...? How can you "register a site" "to" another site?

As I said, my husband registered our first few domains because he was
the tech guy and that was back in the days when it was a pain in the
ass to do. We've since transferred the domains to the easier to use,
cheaper registrar, but haven't bothered to change the name on them.
Anything registered in the last few years I've registered myself, with
my own name. As for the phone number, Duh I don't want losers like you
calling me. Most domain registrations that aren't big companies use
fake phone numbers. The PO Box was actually my PO Box at the time we
registered the domain. It isn't my PO Box anymore, but again we
haven't bothered to go in and change the registration info.

May I ask why the hell you care?

You ragged on me in your newsgroup here, and so I felt I needed to
come lay a few facts straight. I've done that now, and I'm sure your
fellow boating enthusiasts would appreciate it if you'd shut up and
return to more on-topic discussions. (Actually they'd probably rather
you shut up and let them get on with the on-topic discussions without
you, but that's just my conjecture based on your history.)