posted to rec.boats.building

Default Plastimo Contest compass liquid

My elderly Plastimo compass has deleloped a bubble inside the globe.
Does anyone know what type of liquid Plastimo uses to damp the card?

Many thanks in advance

Matt

posted to rec.boats.building
Todd

I don't know about Plastimo but I believe a lot of compasses (compii?)
use distilled kerosene. The trick is getting it in. I spoke with a shop
once that did it and they adviced getting a new compass.

posted to rec.boats.building
Jason

I believe that most compasses are filled with mineral OIL, not spirits.
Of course, I'd check the your specific manufacturer to be sure.

Sincerely,
Jason

Brian Nystrom wrote:
wrote:

My elderly Plastimo compass has deleloped a bubble inside the globe.
Does anyone know what type of liquid Plastimo uses to damp the card?

I'm not sure about Plastimo, but Silva uses mineral spirits.

posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Nystrom

Jason wrote:
I believe that most compasses are filled with mineral OIL, not spirits.
Of course, I'd check the your specific manufacturer to be sure.

Mine was definitely mineral SPIRITS, as the smell is unmistakable.
Mineral oil would be much too thick for a small compass, anyway and
might not work at all in cold weather.

Sincerely,
Jason

Brian Nystrom wrote:

wrote:

My elderly Plastimo compass has deleloped a bubble inside the globe.
Does anyone know what type of liquid Plastimo uses to damp the card?

I'm not sure about Plastimo, but Silva uses mineral spirits.

posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

Don't know about Plastmo, but for aircraft compasses, check
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...repairkit1.php

$1.71 for 1/2 pint which has to be the least expensive thing they've ever
sold. (before shipping)

Roger (forty or fifty years ago it was ethyl alcohol -- the good stuff)

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

Brian Nystrom wrote:

wrote:

My elderly Plastimo compass has deleloped a bubble inside the globe.
Does anyone know what type of liquid Plastimo uses to damp the card?

I'm not sure about Plastimo, but Silva uses mineral spirits.

posted to rec.boats.building
Keith

1/2 mineral spirits (deodorized kerosene), 1/2 mineral oil.

posted to rec.boats.building
Todd

Here I found these two interesting articles:
http://www.andrewscompass.com/checkoff.html
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...1/gen01791.htm