Robert Haston

Default maximum rudder angle?

I'm trying out a new rudder design for my kayak, and (aside from a good NACA
profile) I need to know what the maximum rudder angle would be. I assume
the maximum angle would be at minimum steerage for a kayak (around 1.5
knots).

Thanks

--
Robert Haston
Satellite Beach, FL

Evan Gatehouse

"Robert Haston" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm trying out a new rudder design for my kayak, and (aside from a good

NACA
profile) I need to know what the maximum rudder angle would be. I assume
the maximum angle would be at minimum steerage for a kayak (around 1.5
knots).

Figure at least 40 - 45 degrees. I'd suggest the design limit condition is
actually when a big wave picks you up when you're too close to the beach,
you start to surf in and jam your foot against the stops trying to get back
out to sea... (person experience

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

William R. Watt

I was told not to use kayak rudder for turning, just set for tracking
angle in wind, waves, and current. As such I would not be as concerned
about stalling as I would about drag, so keep the rudder angle low. Sorry,
I don't know how to calculate rudder drag.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Brian Whatcott

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:55:40 GMT, "Robert Haston"
wrote:

I'm trying out a new rudder design for my kayak, and (aside from a good NACA
profile) I need to know what the maximum rudder angle would be. I assume
the maximum angle would be at minimum steerage for a kayak (around 1.5
knots).

Thanks

Max rudder angle for what? Sideforce or sideforce/drag?

Not sure? try +- 30 deg.

Brian W