Lure builder

Default oar sockets

How would i install oar sockets on a light weight small aluminum boat. The
thickness of the aluminum is quite thin. Thanks
William R. Watt

Lure builder ) writes:
How would i install oar sockets on a light weight small aluminum boat. The
thickness of the aluminum is quite thin. Thanks

bolt a piece of (ply)wood to the aluminum, usually called a "backing plate"
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Matt Langenfeld

One option would be to attach an aluminum pad about 10" x 10" to mount
the oar locks on. That would distribute the load and stress created by
rowing.

Besides welding, I'm not sure what would bond the pad well to the hull.
Rivets? Will JB Weld do a good job on aluminum? Maybe write to LocTite
Customer Service and see what they'd recommend to bond them?

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft

Lure builder wrote:
How would i install oar sockets on a light weight small aluminum boat. The
thickness of the aluminum is quite thin. Thanks

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft
http://jem.e-boat.net/

dazed and confuzed

Matt Langenfeld wrote:
One option would be to attach an aluminum pad about 10" x 10" to mount
the oar locks on. That would distribute the load and stress created by
rowing.

Besides welding, I'm not sure what would bond the pad well to the hull.
Rivets? Will JB Weld do a good job on aluminum? Maybe write to LocTite
Customer Service and see what they'd recommend to bond them?

Loctite will probably suggest an acrylate glue. Go to www.loctite.com
and get to the datasheets. There are also 2 part urethanes that work
well, but you need a dispenser. For samll jobs you can get tubes and an
adapter that fit a standard caulking gun. They are suprisingly cheap.
Motion Industries can order any loctite products. I would also reccomend
rivets with your glued aluminum backing plate.

read and follow all directions and cautions in the MSDS.

--
A significant part of courage is realizing that only you need to know
how terrified you are..