posted to rec.boats.building
Julien Mills

Default Home made anchor

Hey all,

I read a while back in a book about building docks
a method for making an anchor: pour about 100 lbs.
(or more?) of cement into a smallish tire. Sink a
U-shaped piece of metal into it to attach the chain.

Now, my question: is this an environmentally sound
anchor? Doesn't cement leach out or something under
water? And, wouldn't the tire decompose over time
under water? (I'm talking about fresh water in
upstate NY, by the way).

I'd think making some other disk-shapped mold would
be a better way to go, if one is using cement, just
wondering what anyone else thought.

Thanks,

Julien

posted to rec.boats.building
Drew Dalgleish

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 16:10:20 -0400, Julien Mills
wrote:

Hey all,

I read a while back in a book about building docks
a method for making an anchor: pour about 100 lbs.
(or more?) of cement into a smallish tire. Sink a
U-shaped piece of metal into it to attach the chain.

Now, my question: is this an environmentally sound
anchor? Doesn't cement leach out or something under
water? And, wouldn't the tire decompose over time
under water? (I'm talking about fresh water in
upstate NY, by the way).

I'd think making some other disk-shapped mold would
be a better way to go, if one is using cement, just
wondering what anyone else thought.

Thanks,

Julien

Tires seem to last forever underwater. It's probably better for the
eenviroment to use an old tire than to make something similar out of
new materials.
posted to rec.boats.building
Richard J Kinch

Julien Mills writes:

Doesn't cement leach out or something under water?

Leach out what? Limestone? So what?

Mass alone does not make a good anchor.

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Julien Mills writes:

Doesn't cement leach out or something under water?

Leach out what? Limestone? So what?

If it doesn't matter then I'm OK with that.
Thanks.

Mass alone does not make a good anchor.

I know, are you talking about cement here?
Not quite sure you are meaning.

posted to rec.boats.building
David Flew

There are lots of things to consider in an anchor - and you haven't given us
any idea of what it is you are trying to anchor, where, or under what
conditions. But to look at just one consideration. If you made a 1000 kg
anchor out of something with a density of say 2.0 ( mix of rubber and
concrete.), it would take a force of 500 kg to lift it vertically up. If
you made it out of something with a density of 5.0 ( mix of steel and
concrete ) it would need a force of 800 kg to lift it vertically up.
Obviously boats don't usually try to lift anchors vertically up, they roll,
slide, dig into mud, get undermined by current ......... So the
statement that mass alone does not make a good anchor is very much an
understatement.

DF

"Julien Mills" wrote in message
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Julien Mills writes:

Doesn't cement leach out or something under water?

Leach out what? Limestone? So what?

If it doesn't matter then I'm OK with that.
Thanks.

Mass alone does not make a good anchor.

I know, are you talking about cement here?
Not quite sure you are meaning.

posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce Nichol

Goo'day,

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:56:17 +1000, "David Flew"
wrote:

There are lots of things to consider in an anchor

Doesn't the very use of the word "anchor" mean that the anchor itself
needs to anchor itself to something?

How are you going to anchor the anchor if it's but a block of
something heavy?

Would that a block of something *would* anchor. But of what value is
a block of something sitting on, say, sand, in a 40kt wind?

If, though, the block had flukes to anchor it in place, then there's a
difference, and it might be of some use. Even fluked anchors have
been known to drag in tide and wind - and that's what you're guarding
against - dragging. The physical weight of the thing is far
outweighed by the ability to withstand something trying to move it
sideways, not vertically.....

Your only option in an anchor is the degree of "fluking" required the
locality/s you're going to want to anchor.

You think I'm wrong? Toss a block of concrete the same weight as a
fluked anchor over the side and see how far you drift/drag.....

Home made? Waste of bloody time! And a danger to all concerned...
especially to those striving to rescue you..

B.
posted to rec.boats.building
Ed Edelenbos

Some of y'all take this stuff (and perhaps yourselves) a little too
seriously don't you?

Ed

--
When replying via email, replace spam with speak in the address.

wrote:

[...]

BajaJim

Old train wheels work fine, especially in fresh water. Might be bigger
than you need. Also properly cleaned engine blocks. .

BajaJim wrote:
Old train wheels work fine, especially in fresh water. Might be bigger
than you need. Also properly cleaned engine blocks. .

Old cast iron radiators are pretty heavy, I know someone who used one
off of Fire Island a while back.
Where would one look for an old train wheel?

posted to rec.boats.building
Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:11:26 -0400, Julien Mills
wrote:

BajaJim wrote:
Old train wheels work fine, especially in fresh water. Might be bigger
than you need. Also properly cleaned engine blocks. .

Old cast iron radiators are pretty heavy, I know someone who used one
off of Fire Island a while back.
Where would one look for an old train wheel?

An old train?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/