posted to rec.boats.building
Luke Krummel

Default Help with Mounting gunwale to fiberglass

Hello-

I've searched through here for people with problems similar to
mine but haven't seen anything.

I bought a fiberglas dingy, about 10 ft. last year. The old wood
working had rotten, esp. on the gunwales. I stripped everything,
repainted the hull, and now have started on the gunwales. I am
using poplar, 1/2" wide X 1" deep.

The bow of the boat is completly round. It doesn't come to a
point. What is the best way to mount the gunwale? When I took
the old gunwales off, they were staggered. The inwale would
extend 36" and the outwale would extend 60", and it would be the
opposite on the other side - inwale 60", outwale 36". The
remaining two pieces would extent down the hull, and around the
round bow on both the inwale and outwale. Is there a reason for
the staggering? I am guessing the structure as a whole is
stronger this way.

What is the best way to re-mount this? I have triedcutting
lengths to the length they were before, but I snapped a few. Now
I have it rigged so there is about 36" of the bow, all curve.

This is my first major boat project, and I am a little lost.
Thanks

Luke

Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

posted to rec.boats.building
Matt Colie

Luke,

You seem to have two issues here.
The staggering of the joints was intentsional, but is not best practice.
Best practice on a boat as you describe would be to have no joints.
As a piece that long would be logistically difficult. It would probably
be a scarphed up blank that was planed to size. Again, it would be
arranged so that the joints were staggered.
The bending will be tough unless you steam bend it. I never steam bent
poplar, so I can offer no insite there, but white oak does real well and
it glues well at the scarphs.
Best Of Luck
Matt Colie