BoatBanter.com

-   -   Air Compressor For Dockside Work (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/68896-air-compressor-dockside-work.html)

dazed and confuzzed April 21st 06 11:09 PM

Air Compressor For Dockside Work

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Glenn Ashmore writes:

If I want to use it for breathable air I have a charcoal filter and
oil coalescing filter that plug into the outlet. That is the same
type arrangement I have used for years on my big shop compressor for
my MSA air-line respirator when spraying LPU. The big shop compressor
is an oil type so there is an additional moisture separator and
coalescing filter and an extra 40 gallon settling tank in the line.

All that filtering and coalescing is just wishful thinking without (1) a
refrigerated dryer ahead of the filters, and (2) a way to monitor filter
condition. A "moisture separator" is kind of a lie, because raw compressed
air is saturated and condensing as it moves down the line, including after
the so-called "separator".

WHy does the moisture content matter @90psi? It's not like you are going
to freeze up your first stage anyway....

You are confusing low pressure with high pressure compressors.

The typical charcoal filter application is worse than no filter at all,
because it is left in long after it is spent, being difficult to monifor
and expensive to replace. False security in breathing air.

--
When I’m good, I’m very good….

When I’m bad, I’m at my best.

The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

Richard J Kinch April 22nd 06 02:48 AM

dazed and confuzzed writes:

WHy does the moisture content matter @90psi? It's not like you are going
to freeze up your first stage anyway.

Water vapor or condensate is not itself a problem for breathing, but it
spoils the filters if you are trying to filter out something else that is a
problem.

John Cassara April 22nd 06 11:20 AM

Air Compressor For Dockside Work

Since air quality is of little or no concern why bother with a compressor
and regulator at all. Just clamp a garden hose to a snorkel and tie the open
end to a piling so it stays above water. You only need a few minutes under
water for most tasks anyway.

"Tom Dacon" wrote in message
Most marina divers I've known just use a dive tank with a long hose. Chock
the tank securely on the dock so you don't pull it down on yourself, and
away you go.

Tom Dacon

"BajaJim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Am wondering if anyone has set up a small air compressor rig, 110V,
similar to the ones used by divers for hull cleaning services. I assume
just a small oil-less compressor and couple it directly to a stock dive
regulator? I only need it dockside in a marina with 30A seervice.
THANKS for any input

dazed and confuzzed April 22nd 06 12:34 PM

John Cassara wrote:
Since air quality is of little or no concern why bother with a compressor
and regulator at all. Just clamp a garden hose to a snorkel and tie the open
end to a piling so it stays above water. You only need a few minutes under
water for most tasks anyway.

Are you the same guy who posts on rec.scuba? If so, why are you asking
such BS?

"Tom Dacon" wrote in message

Most marina divers I've known just use a dive tank with a long hose. Chock
the tank securely on the dock so you don't pull it down on yourself, and
away you go.

Tom Dacon

groups.com...

John Cassara April 22nd 06 09:59 PM

Air Compressor For Dockside Work

I am, thank-you for noticing. My post was an attempt at humor directed
towards the earlier posts of using a shop compressor as a breathing air
source. As a point of information I am mix gas certified with enough deep
north east wreck diving experience to know a little something. The earlier
posts are from the same kind of people who sit in the local ER's saying "Wow
I didn't think that could happen"

"dazed and confuzzed" wrote in message
. ..

"Tom Dacon" wrote in message

Most marina divers I've known just use a dive tank with a long hose.
Chock the tank securely on the dock so you don't pull it down on
yourself, and away you go.

Tom Dacon

egroups.com...

John Cassara April 23rd 06 12:12 PM