Brian Cleverly

Default Pisces diesel inboard

I wonder if anyone has leads on where to get info, manuals, etc. on a 3
cyl Pisces diesel.

I think it is an Isuzu and 40 h.p. but not certain on both counts.

In case it matters, its installed in a 1976 Fuji 32 Ketch.

Thanks in advance,

Brian Cleverly
Steve

"Brian Cleverly" wrote in message
I wonder if anyone has leads on where to get info, manuals, etc. on a 3
cyl Pisces diesel.

I think it is an Isuzu and 40 h.p. but not certain on both counts.

You are correct, it is an Izuzu engine and normally came with a little Hurth
reverse gear.

I don't have the manual but do have the data and spec. from Ferenc Mate's
book From Bare Hull. I'm posting a scanned copy of this spec on my web site
at: http://hood.hctc.com/~esteve/private...Pisces_Dsl.pdf

Here is just a bit of trivia regarding the Pisces... Many, many were
installed in boats built in Taiwan and often the installer gave no regard to
the "correct" prop rotation. The shift lever on the Hurth caused confusion
since 'lever fwd' was actually reverse and 'lever aft' is actually suppose
to be forward. On builders trials everything seemed ok, but if the rotation
was incorrect and after about 500 engine hours the Hurth would brake the
chain that is normally only under load in reverse.

Of course the engines that were prop'ed correctly worked fine for many
years.

I had two dock mates in SD that had Pisces 40s with Hurth gears, both were
from Tiawan and both had the shaft turning the wrong direction and both had
to replace the gear or rebuild it. Changed to the correct prop and
everything was fine.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Charles Erskine

This outfit claims to carry some parts for Pisces diesels. Perhaps
they can obtain or xerox a manual for you.

http://www.merequipment.com/MER%20Parts/isuzuparts.htm

Brian Cleverly wrote in message ...
I wonder if anyone has leads on where to get info, manuals, etc. on a 3
cyl Pisces diesel.

I think it is an Isuzu and 40 h.p. but not certain on both counts.

In case it matters, its installed in a 1976 Fuji 32 Ketch.

Thanks in advance,

Brian Cleverly

Brian Cleverly

Default Pisces diesel inboard (Steve and Charles)

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Brian

Steve wrote:

[...]

Looking for 20ft or smaller inboard diesel boat or boston whaler alert 15 Ratliff Logging and Management General 3 June 2nd 04 07:46 PM
UK red diesel costs. Ken Baker General 0 May 25th 04 02:40 PM
Why Ficht failed no1 K Smith General 53 January 26th 04 07:46 PM
Old diesel dave Boat Building 3 September 30th 03 09:59 PM
diesel fuel tanks P.C. Boat Building 2 August 22nd 03 04:10 AM