Scott Vernon

Default Keeping opened 5200 usable?

I bought a 6 pack of silicone tubes on sale. Two years later the 4
remaining unopened tubes had cured (hardened).

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville PA __/)__/)__

"Steve" wrote in message
It really doesn't take anything other than a common plastic shopping bag.
Just enough to keep any moisture laden air away from the plunger..

BTW, I just looked and I have a couple open (but resealed) tube in my
kitchen frig that must have been there for a year.. I can squeeze the side
of the tub and it is still soft.. I may have to dig a cured plug of 5200

out
of the tip of the tube when I want to use them..

This question came up about a year ago and someone suggested putting them

in
the freezer.. I can testify that it isn't necassary and the stuff is ready
to use when you take it out of the frig. but might require some thawing

time
if frozen.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

3M products usually have a removeable nozzle that can be removed and
cleaned. I have even cleaned them after the caulk has cured.. However, it is
best to seperately seal the threaded nipple on the end of the tube. For that
I save a few spare/uncut nozzles. Then when the material in the nipple
cures, I dig it out with a wood screw.

The main objective is to keep moisture laden air from contating the surface
of the caulk/sealant. The curing process will gradually, over time migrate
into the interior of the tube unless you refrigerate it. The cooler temp.
seem to retard the curing process.

As I stated earlier, the plunger end presents a problem since the curing
process will start with the residual sealant around the plunger and migrate
to the interior contents. The plastic bag can help here and I stuff a bunch
of this bag all the way up inside the tube end to displace any moist air..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Stephen Baker

Steve says:

However, it is
best to seperately seal the threaded nipple on the end of the tube. For that
I save a few spare/uncut nozzles.

Or you could go to Home Despot and get some of their bright orange mouse
condoms, specially built for the job...

Steve