posted to rec.boats.building
Jim and Becky

Default Need to remoe fiberglass from hull

My boat has a 3'x3' patch of heavy non woven matt fiberglass on the hull
from the gunnell to the waterline.
It was used to protect the hull as lobster traps were hauled into the boat.
Its ugly.
The hull is balsa cored.
What is the best way to remove it?

posted to rec.boats.building

If you do not need to remove this patch do not do it. If it is a must for
you to remove I would use abrasion or lever action. If prior to applying
this patch the hull was not de-waxed or clean with chemical agent chances
are that the bonding is not 100%. I you can find de-lamination between
the hull and the fibreglass patch I would insert a thin oak wedged scrapper
and push it out gradually. If this fails I would use a auto body file
mounted in its holder to shave this patch away. Failing to this I would use
a dual orbital sander with extreme care as to not de-formed the shape of the
freeboard.
The freeboard will have to be faired out with premium marine filler, painted
and blended with the rest of the color.
Maybe someone has better ideas?

"Jim and Becky" wrote in message
My boat has a 3'x3' patch of heavy non woven matt fiberglass on the hull
from the gunnell to the waterline.
It was used to protect the hull as lobster traps were hauled into the
boat.
Its ugly.
The hull is balsa cored.
What is the best way to remove it?

posted to rec.boats.building
John Cassara

Can you see the inside of the hull? The patch may be a reinforcement for a
damaged section of the hull. You could be opening up a "can of worms"

wrote in message
news
[...]

I agree with John's comments.

You should tell what type of boat you have and where the boat was used.

Here the commercial lobster fishermen are emptying their cages while their
boats are moving on autopilot steered by GPS.

In heavy fog, the boat keeps moving and the working fishermen do not always
hear the sound of the radar watch and carry on with their work.

It is not unusual to see pleasure and commercial craft that have been
T-Boned (struck on the side) by another boat.

Alternatively, during the start up of a club race on a clear day some
sailboat does get T-Boned. Usually you can see some damages on the toe
rails and the tip of the freeboard has been pushed in and at time a crack
goes down to the water line.

On average a well-repaired boat will not shown any signs of having sustained
puncture damages. In your case, the patch is eye-catching let hope there is
no hidden damages.

"John Cassara" wrote in message
Can you see the inside of the hull? The patch may be a reinforcement for a
damaged section of the hull. You could be opening up a "can of worms"

wrote in message
news
[...]

Jim Conlin

If you're very lucky, the glassing was badly done, didn't adhere well and
can be peeled off. I'd probe around the edge of the patch with a chisel.
Failing that, it'll take violent measures. Find someone who does blister
jobs and has a gelcoat peeler. Maybe that'd do it. If not, i'd use a belt
sander.