bruce

Default prefix SV

gday
Is the Sailing Vessel prefix SV aka S/V peculiar to one country's boat
registration process or is it permissable to use it anywhere on any yacht?

cheers
bruce
rhys

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:29:01 +1200, bruce wrote:

gday
Is the Sailing Vessel prefix SV aka S/V peculiar to one country's boat
registration process or is it permissable to use it anywhere on any yacht?

Well, while it wouldn't be S/V in Germany or France, say, I have seen
it appended across the English-speaking world in more or less
haphazard fashion. While I doubt it's required as a prefix for private
vessels, it SEEMS to be obligatory for commercial vessels, including
charters. Most passenger ships, for instance, seem to feature "M/V
Stinkpottage", for example, in their "official" names.

One does hear it over VHF traffic, as it's helpful to people trying to
locate you, like the various Coast Guards and the like, to start by
knowing if you are in a sailing boat or a speed boat, say. Things like
"boat cover" and "actively burning" come AFTER the boat I.D.

R.
Sam

I thought SV meant Steam Vessel like MV means Motor Vessel.?.?
Sam

O.K.That sounds right.

Wolverine

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:29:01 +1200, bruce wrote:

gday
Is the Sailing Vessel prefix SV aka S/V peculiar to one country's boat
registration process or is it permissable to use it anywhere on any yacht?

cheers
bruce

S/V Sailing Vessel
M/V Motor Vessel
R/V Research Vessel
F/V Fishing Vessel
T/V Tug Vessel
P/M/V Passenger Motor Vessel
M/Y Motor Yacht
WestlakeY

S/V originally used for Commercial Sailing vessels while the designator S/Y
is for sailing yachts. Perhaps a bit pompous on a small vessel. We have used
S/V as a more descriptive term.
Backyard Renegade

I'm still not clear here. Could I possibly get seven more completely
different answers? Just kidding guys, like the pretty pirate girl
said, seems, "theys' more guidelines than rules".
I have been told I look a little like a pirate, aye, maybe I do, maybe
I do.
The Backyard Renegade
Stephen Baker

Scotty says:

I'm still not clear here. Could I possibly get seven more completely
different answers?

Dontcha just love Usenet? ;-)