posted to rec.boats.building

Default Boat for Mercury Mark 25 outboard

I picked up a 1957 Mercury Mark 25 outboard on eBay a while ago. Mine
is red and white, exactly like the picture at

http://www.oldmercs.com/mk25.html

It is supposed to be 18-20 hp. It has good compression and is in great
shape. I haven't run it yet, but I don't think that it should be too
hard to get it going. Parts are readily available through the same
site.

I already have an 18' runabout with a Suzuki DF140 for those days that
I want to take a few people boating with me. I want to build a boat
that I can use to go have fun with. Something fast and fun for one or
two people, max. I don't fish much.

A hydroplane or a small speedboat would be about right. I am familiar
with the Glen-L line of plans. Are there any other sources of plans
that are recommended?

Thanks for the ideas.

posted to rec.boats.building
bBob

wrote in message
ps.com...
I picked up a 1957 Mercury Mark 25 outboard on eBay a while ago. Mine
is red and white, exactly like the picture at

http://www.oldmercs.com/mk25.html

It is supposed to be 18-20 hp. It has good compression and is in great
shape. I haven't run it yet, but I don't think that it should be too
hard to get it going. Parts are readily available through the same
site.

I already have an 18' runabout with a Suzuki DF140 for those days that
I want to take a few people boating with me. I want to build a boat
that I can use to go have fun with. Something fast and fun for one or
two people, max. I don't fish much.

A hydroplane or a small speedboat would be about right. I am familiar
with the Glen-L line of plans. Are there any other sources of plans
that are recommended?

Glen-L has some nice 'vintage looking' designs that would compliment that
motor.

Please note: that motor was built before the days of lightweight alloys and
it weighs a ton. Make sure you select a boat with lots of freeboard aft and
a nice wide transom. You don't want any 'spills' when you are back aft
reaching around the motor!

posted to rec.boats.building
Sal's Dad

Look at Payson / Bolger designs.
http://www.instantboats.com/ , especially Sneakeasy. Bolger has a few more
nice ones, as well, look in his book "Boats with an Open Mind"

Lots more at www.boat-links.com .

Sal's Dad

ps.com...