posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

Default speakers

Sorry, I lost the thread to a "view," but Radio Shack on-line has a $20
extension speaker
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

For "waterproof," stick it in a big baggie.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin

I'm very uneasy about speakers whose position or orientation is not fixed.
They can seriously derange a magnetic compass.
I'd much prefer that speakers be in a fixed location and orientation. None
within several feet of the compass.

"derbyrm" wrote in message
Sorry, I lost the thread to a "view," but Radio Shack on-line has a $20
extension speaker

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

For "waterproof," stick it in a big baggie.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

posted to rec.boats.building
chuck

Marine-type speakers are generally shielded (as are speakers intended
for use near CRTs) so this should not be a problem. The speaker
description/packaging should indicate whether it is magnetically shielded.

I'd be interested in hearing of any cases where a magnetically shielded
speaker has interfered with magnetic compass readings.

Chuck

"derbyrm" wrote in message

Sorry, I lost the thread to a "view," but Radio Shack on-line has a $20
extension speaker

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

For "waterproof," stick it in a big baggie.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin

Is the function of the shielding to keep the speaker from picking up the RF
noise from nearby electrical equipment or to contain the influence of the
speaker's permanent magnet? Bring a hand compass to the store to test this.

link.net...

"derbyrm" wrote in message

Sorry, I lost the thread to a "view," but Radio Shack on-line has a $20
extension speaker

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

For "waterproof," stick it in a big baggie.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

posted to rec.boats.building
Maynard G. Krebbs

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:44:53 GMT, chuck wrote:

Marine-type speakers are generally shielded (as are speakers intended
for use near CRTs) so this should not be a problem. The speaker
description/packaging should indicate whether it is magnetically shielded.

I'd be interested in hearing of any cases where a magnetically shielded
speaker has interfered with magnetic compass readings.

Chuck

Something I always wondered about is, "How do you magnetically shield
something."
Doesn't Magnetism pretty much go through things. How could you shield
a speaker's magnet so it wouldn't affect a compass?
Mark E. Williams

posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin

I missed that day in fre\shman physics, so i remain not informed but
concerned.

A long time ago, i almost had a very nasty grounding because some speakers
which had been brought on board deranged the compass.

"Maynard G. Krebbs" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:44:53 GMT, chuck wrote:

Marine-type speakers are generally shielded (as are speakers intended
for use near CRTs) so this should not be a problem. The speaker
description/packaging should indicate whether it is magnetically

shielded.

I'd be interested in hearing of any cases where a magnetically shielded
speaker has interfered with magnetic compass readings.

Chuck

Something I always wondered about is, "How do you magnetically shield
something."
Doesn't Magnetism pretty much go through things. How could you shield
a speaker's magnet so it wouldn't affect a compass?
Mark E. Williams

posted to rec.boats.building
chuck

FWIW, there are even nonmagnetic speakers, of which the piezo type are
unpleasantly common as beepers. Electrostatic speakers can be
impressive, but are difficult to design. Not worth the expense for use
with VHF radios.

Chuck

Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:44:53 GMT, chuck wrote:

Marine-type speakers are generally shielded (as are speakers intended
for use near CRTs) so this should not be a problem. The speaker
description/packaging should indicate whether it is magnetically shielded.

I'd be interested in hearing of any cases where a magnetically shielded
speaker has interfered with magnetic compass readings.

Chuck

Something I always wondered about is, "How do you magnetically shield
something."
Doesn't Magnetism pretty much go through things. How could you shield
a speaker's magnet so it wouldn't affect a compass?
Mark E. Williams

posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

Swinging the vehicle to check the compass is a basic navigator duty. For
aircraft there's a compass rose on the tarmac, for boats/ships there are
hand bearing compasses and pelorus (pelori??), but see
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/bearing.htm Check with all
equipment on board and energized and the engine running (if applicable). A
deviation card should be mounted on the compass, or close by. Speaker
magnets are just one of many sources of deviation.

Then again, there are really cheap hiking-type GPS units that will tell you
your track (but not your heading).

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

My problem was that the speakers were moveable, as were the bracket mounted
speakers referenced in the first post. If the orientation or location of a
permament magnet speaker can be easily changed, What's the navigator to do?

"derbyrm" wrote in message
Swinging the vehicle to check the compass is a basic navigator duty. For
aircraft there's a compass rose on the tarmac, for boats/ships there are
hand bearing compasses and pelorus (pelori??), but see
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/bearing.htm Check with all
equipment on board and energized and the engine running (if applicable).

deviation card should be mounted on the compass, or close by. Speaker
magnets are just one of many sources of deviation.

Then again, there are really cheap hiking-type GPS units that will tell

you
your track (but not your heading).

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Looks like................. JimH General 39 March 22nd 06 10:31 PM
Boatin Flicks Dene General 29 February 2nd 06 06:32 PM
Those torturing US bastards... John Gaquin General 86 December 22nd 05 05:10 PM
FS: 05 Rinker 410 Express Cruiser in Northern California Matt Toly Marketplace 0 October 19th 05 02:15 AM