posted to rec.boats.building
Lucas

Default Inboard Engine Cooling

Hi Guys!

I have a old timber ski boat with a inline 6 car motor that has been
maraineized. i'm in the process of restoring this boat! currently the
engine is cooled with raw water running through the sump etc. there is
no pump or thermostat. I am considering changing this to a fresh water
enclosed system with raw water running through a heat exchanger. Now for
the Fun part, i am having difficulties finding information on what is
required, best practices and where to even obtain the bits. I am
assuming that i need a water pump or 2? one for the fresh water and one
for the raw? as well as a thermostat and heat exchanger. Are there any
other parts required? what should i be taking in to consideration whilst
doing this?? or should i even be looking at something different?

thanks in advance for you help!
posted to rec.boats.building
norman

"Lucas" wrote in message
Hi Guys!

I have a old timber ski boat with a inline 6 car motor that has been
maraineized. i'm in the process of restoring this boat! currently the
engine is cooled with raw water running through the sump etc. there is
no pump or thermostat. I am considering changing this to a fresh water
enclosed system with raw water running through a heat exchanger. Now for
the Fun part, i am having difficulties finding information on what is
required, best practices and where to even obtain the bits. I am
assuming that i need a water pump or 2? one for the fresh water and one
for the raw? as well as a thermostat and heat exchanger. Are there any
other parts required? what should i be taking in to consideration whilst
doing this?? or should i even be looking at something different?

thanks in advance for you help!

It sounds like you need to make a trip to a nearby boatyard or boat dealer.
Take a close look at several motors that have FW cooling. You'll be able to
identify the FW pump (sometimes on the front of the crankshaft), the cooler
itself, and the routing of the hoses. With that information, you should be
able to see how to mount your components and plumb properly. Every motor is
different, so look at several.