posted to rec.boats.building
Courtney Thomas

Default what DURABLE material for boat TARP ?

I should say right off...I've tried poly and canvas duck.

I'd prefer to not buy a tarp but rather the material and make it.

The purpose of the tarp is to cover boat and trailer for winter storage
outdoors in a northern marine environment.

Given that, what would be suitable material considering cost,
durability, and protection of stored boat and trailer ?

Vendor recommendations would also be appreciated.

Thank you for suggestions,

Courtney
posted to rec.boats.building
Brian D

Sunbrella ...not cheap, but good stuff. Many biminis and boat tops are made
of it. It's rated for year 'round exposure. I believe you can buy the
material by the yard in various widths and then make your own. It's what
I'm going to use on my boat ( http://www.glacierboats.com ) ...not for a
winter tarp, but for the cover that I'll get done for the aft half of the
boat (a camper back).

Brian D

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
k.net...
I should say right off...I've tried poly and canvas duck.

I'd prefer to not buy a tarp but rather the material and make it.

The purpose of the tarp is to cover boat and trailer for winter storage
outdoors in a northern marine environment.

Given that, what would be suitable material considering cost, durability,
and protection of stored boat and trailer ?

Vendor recommendations would also be appreciated.

Thank you for suggestions,

Courtney

posted to rec.boats.building
Glenn Ashmore

You might call Reef Industries about making you a tarp or even a tailored
cover out of their Griffolyn material.
http://www.reefindustries.com/griff/griffcovers.php It is used for field
covers and industrial shelters. On the boat shed I was going through a
30x60 silver tarp every year before I found them. They made me up a white
Griffolyn tarp that has been on for 4 years now and shows no signs of age.
It was custom made to the exact size I needed with grommets where I wanted
and cost about twice what a silver tarp costs but has more than paid for
itself.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
k.net...
I should say right off...I've tried poly and canvas duck.

I'd prefer to not buy a tarp but rather the material and make it.

The purpose of the tarp is to cover boat and trailer for winter storage
outdoors in a northern marine environment.

Given that, what would be suitable material considering cost, durability,
and protection of stored boat and trailer ?

Vendor recommendations would also be appreciated.

Thank you for suggestions,

Courtney

posted to rec.boats.building
Bob

Hi
I hesitate to suggest the following in fear of being ridiculed. While
this is not "marine" you might consider: hay tarps.

If you are close to any area that is still relatively free form Mc
Mansions and grows alfalfa/hay, farmers bail there hay and many times
tarp it. The tarps on the west coast are extremely durable, reasonably
light and easy on the hand, totally UV resistant and about half the
price of "sunbrella" type products. I guess the poor farmers can
not afford expensive marine grade protection. The hay tarps can be
custom sized.

When I was talking to the farmer, tarp was a low priority project on my
list so I did no get any address details but the sruff looked great.
Forgot the actual price but did remember it was ½ the price of
sunbrella stuff.

Blue Wal-Mart tarps............. too noisy! I prefer the soothing
flop-flop sound.

How about old sail cloth? Or buy new scraps by the pound. Practice
sewing it together like a quilt. Great practice and you get a tarp at
the end.
Bob