posted to rec.boats.building
Don Dando

Default My old wooden fuse panel,..

I am doubtful that if the fuse panel is out of the way where things could
contact it and cause a fire then there should be no requirement for a metal
enclosure. In fact I have not seen on moderate priced boat an enclosure
such as a metal box. I have seen the fuse strip locate behind wood or
fiberglass doors. If you want a metal enclosure they are available at the
local electrical supply house. Naturally weatherproof are more expensive
than just common boxed. What you have described should be available for
under $25.

Don Dando

"ray lunder" wrote in message
Does this require a metal enclosure? I live in WA state if it makes
any difference. The boat was British built originally but now has
current WA state registry.
I have slogged through the electrical code and I still can't find a
part that's clearly states "thou shalt not have a wooden panel". Mine
is just a plywood box with a tip-out but the buss bars are on proper
insulative stuff with copper screws, fuses, switches, labels and
correct wire gauges. It all stands off from the ply and cabinetry but
not by much. On a similar sized sailboat, 23', the "panel" was a piece
of insulative with 8 circuits comprised of fuses and switches hanging
down in an L from the fiberglass hull. No proper enclosure at all,
just a bare face. I could only find one boat sized metal panel and it
was $100 for an empty box with a door and two knock-outs. I'm open to
suggestion as always and thanks again.