Frank Gerry

Default 2GM20F Zinc Anodes

I have a Yanmar 18 HP 2GM20F diesel in my sailboat and was hoping for
someone with that engine or similar could answer my question about the zinc
anode. I was wondering if this engine has one and where is it located.
The manual states indirectly that there is one( i.e. it states the zinc
anode should be replaced periodically). But the manual does not identify a
location or a part number. Nor can I find it anywhere on the engine unless
it's hidden under some piece. Has anyone else had this problem?

Frank

B. Alles

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 14:33:28 GMT, "Frank Gerry"
wrote:

I have a Yanmar 18 HP 2GM20F diesel in my sailboat and was hoping for
someone with that engine or similar could answer my question about the zinc
anode. I was wondering if this engine has one and where is it located.
The manual states indirectly that there is one( i.e. it states the zinc
anode should be replaced periodically). But the manual does not identify a
location or a part number. Nor can I find it anywhere on the engine unless
it's hidden under some piece. Has anyone else had this problem?

Frank

Par 4.3.4 from the maintenance book
Inspection and replace anti-corrosive zinc
1 Close the kingston cock
2 drain the cooling seawater
3 remove the plug labeled ZINC
4 check the plug on the inside of the plug to determinate the
amount
of wear top the anti-corrosive zinc.
( replace the anti-corrosive zinc when it has been reduced to
less than 1/2 of its original size)
( if there is only a little bit of wear, clean the surface by
sanding off only corroded areas
5 replace plug
6 open the kingston cock and check water leakage.
Inspection ** every 500 hours

On
I don't know at what point of the motor the zinc plug is located but a
phone call to a dealer will help.
Good luck,
Ben

Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

wrote:

I have a Yanmar 18 HP 2GM20F diesel in my sailboat and was hoping for
someone with that engine or similar could answer my question about the zinc
anode. I was wondering if this engine has one and where is it located.
The manual states indirectly that there is one( i.e. it states the zinc
anode should be replaced periodically). But the manual does not identify a
location or a part number. Nor can I find it anywhere on the engine unless
it's hidden under some piece. Has anyone else had this problem?

Frank

My Yanmar manual is pretty poor. It specifies a zinc for my 3gm30f
(it's the same manual as for your 2gm20f) but there is no such animal.
The zinc is for the raw water cooled (3gm30) model only. Very likely
it's the same situation for the 2gm20f. The manual also specfies
different gearbox lubes in dfferent places. I highly recommend
purchasing the servce manual, which is much better and very useful if
you are doing anything more complicated than an oil change.

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at worldwidewiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/
SCUBA 11

The "F" stands for fresh water cooled.In this moter you do not have a zinc.If I
remember there is one in the heat exchanger though.I will look in the book
later and let you know.Also do not mistake the engine zinc for the shat
zinc.Either motor will have a shaft zinc.

Benny

Zinc metal sparay paint Scott Downey Boat Building 4 February 14th 04 12:41 AM
Save your wasted zinc stubs! Gould 0738 General 11 October 13th 03 03:53 PM
Mercruiser Zinc or Martry zincs ? SASIINC General 1 August 16th 03 01:35 AM
Anodes or Bad Ground beerme General 0 July 23rd 03 02:27 AM
Zinc plating of S/S CaptMP General 1 July 22nd 03 08:50 PM