Skip Gundlach

Default Honda or Kipor (was) 500 W gensets

This thread's reappearance, and Larry's story about his genset in his
workvan reminds me that we're about to buy a 2000W honda as our backup
and shoreside work genset.

However, it appears that Kipor either OEMs the Honda EU gensets, or
someone else does for both of them, as I can see literally no
difference between them other than color - shape, buttons, outlets,
specs, you name it.

As Kipor makes a line of gensets that would do Northern Tool or Harbor
Freight proud, I am guessing that they're the maker.

So, has anyone had any experience with them? The bigger question,
really, is what about warranty? I'm assuming it would be easier to get
a Honda warranty exercised in the wild, but if it's like buying an
extended warranty on a major appliance (not worth it, cuz they never
break, statistically), perhaps it's of no moment.

So, the second question; among the Honda 1000 or 2000 owners, who's had
a warranty claim?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip, with limber holes resolved and on to windlass installation and
plumbing heads

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely
nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing,
messing-about-in-boats; messing about in boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter,
that's the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never
get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to
do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

Roger Long

My father gave me a Coleman that had a sticker reading "Powered by
Honda" on the side. I took it to be overhauled and the shop told me
there is not a single Honda part in it. The engine is Briggs and
Stratton!

He bought it new and never used it very much so I know it was never
modified.

--

Roger Long

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Wayne.B

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:38:41 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

My father gave me a Coleman that had a sticker reading "Powered by
Honda" on the side. I took it to be overhauled and the shop told me
there is not a single Honda part in it. The engine is Briggs and
Stratton!

Coleman has always used Briggs & Stratton as far as I know, which of
course has led to their reputation for being noisy and unreliable.

Sounds like the sticker took a walk on the wild side somewhere prior
to purchase.

:-)

Roger Long

It actually isn't a sticker but silk screened right onto the metal of
the panel. Kind of amazing we never heard about a lawsuit of some
sort.

Years ago, I was part of a deal that went down the tubes because a
Japanese company refused to sue someone. I was told that they have a
cultural issue with suing and almost never do so. Maybe this proves
it.

--

Roger Long

wrote:

My father gave me a Coleman that had a sticker reading "Powered by
Honda" on the side. I took it to be overhauled and the shop told me
there is not a single Honda part in it. The engine is Briggs and
Stratton!

Coleman has always used Briggs & Stratton as far as I know, which of
course has led to their reputation for being noisy and unreliable.

Sounds like the sticker took a walk on the wild side somewhere prior
to purchase.

:-)

R.W. Behan

Skip, it is your call, but unless there's a major price advantage, I'd go
with the Honda. I have a Honda EU2000 on board, having ripped out the old
diesel genset and gone completely to 12v.-and-inverter system. The Honda
has performed flawlessly, quietly, economically, and altogether
delightfully. (Major use is recharging the house batteries, after we've
been on the hook 3-4 days.) The problem is, there have been no problems, so
I can't help you with your question about experience with the warranty.
It's a fine machine.

Dick B.
M/V "Annie"
LNVT 37

[...]

Steve Lusardi

Skip,
There is a lot of market pressure on Honda and most of it is illegal
competition from China. (Copies) The Chinese machines may work perfectly,
but many do not, as thier QC is almost non-existant. The bigger problem is
that most of the resellers are not prepared to give either warranttee or
after sales service, because they do not order or stock spare parts. You can
save money, but before you buy you should make certain about parts and
service availability first.
Steve

[...]

Graham Frankland

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Skip,
There is a lot of market pressure on Honda and most of it is illegal
competition from China. (Copies) The Chinese machines may work perfectly,
but many do not, as thier QC is almost non-existant. The bigger problem is
that most of the resellers are not prepared to give either warranttee or
after sales service, because they do not order or stock spare parts. You
can save money, but before you buy you should make certain about parts and
service availability first.
Steve

Certainly here in the UK, Chinese 2 stroke 220v 700w gennys can be purchased
for under UKP50 (around $80?) with 12 months warranty and seem very
reliable. 2200w cost just under UKP 100. At those prices, a new genny is
often going to cost less than spare parts for a more expensive make so it
becomes just another throw away item. Not many people I know are willing to
spend money on Hondas.

Graham.

Evan Gatehouse

Larry wrote:

My question on Kipor stands. Name 2 Kipor dealers with service departments
within 10 miles of you. Even the Honda car or motorcycle dealers can order
you a new muffler, air filter and carb float for a Honda genset....

Which is better? I can have a new Honda EU1000i piston and connecting rod
in my hand by Monday morning.....if I ever need them.

Same story on outboards now:

http://www.sailoutboards.com/

These are chinese knockoffs of Yamaha outboards with different
cowlings. They claim you can get parts through them or a Yamaha
dealer 'cause the parts match. But imagine showing up and trying to
guess which Yamaha model year they copied.

Evan Gatehouse
Peter Wiley

In article , Graham
Frankland wrote:

[...]

Yeah, but how far from a dealer do they venture?

I had this sort of duscussion a few years ago with a supplier of
upmarket computer gear. A server had stopped because one out of 3
cooling fans had died, and the sensor in the fan had sent a shutdown
signal to the system. When I bitched to the service people, they
pointed out that they offered a max of 24 hours response time and
carried a full range of spares.

I asked tham how they proposed getting their service tech to my
icebreaker down in the Southern Ocean. Dead silence.

What I wanted was something built so well that it didn't *need* a
service call.

On point, I recently bought a Honda 2HP 4 stroke o/board. It was
probably the dearest o/b I coulda got in the power range but I figure
it's worth it. Ditto for gensets.

Oh yeah, I have a pile, maybe 12, Honda gensets at work. They *always*
work right down to -30C temperatures. My advice is, pay the money.

PDW