Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.building
Old Reliable

Default Jon Boat

I recently bought a 2004 10' Alumacraft Jon Boat with a Endura 30
12volt Trolling Motor.

I have no experience with this before, but I'd like to put in a few
of upgrades to the boat to both make it a more enjoyable fishing/creek
boat.

I will use the boat primarily to launch from my backyard down the tidal

creek that leads out to the waterway. I will be doing most of my
fishing
in the creek and in the intracoastal waterway thats 1 mile down the
water. The creek is very shallow during low tides, and I often have to
lift the shaft out of the water and paddle through the shallow parts if

I don't leave/return within the 3-4 hour window of High Tide. I'd like
to find a way to more evenly distribute the weight from the battery so
it doesn't drag the boat in low water as much. I'd also like to make
the seats more comfortable and perhaps hollow them out so I can use at
least one for storage. I'll be using the boat to fish, travel over to
the islands that divide the waterway and the ocean, to drink beer on,
and simply enjoy the scenery of summer in Wilmington, NC.

What kinds of tips and easy modifications do you guys recommend?

also anyone know anything about kipawa props on trolling motors? are
they worth stepping up to?