BoatBanter.com

-   -   sailmaking questions (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6634-sailmaking-questions.html)

William R. Watt February 23rd 04 02:04 PM

sailmaking questions

sandy ) writes:

By the way....Any suggestions for "rings" to connect it to mast &
boom? Hubby wants to just use some twine. I'm looking at some
plastic shower rings that we've had stored away forever (and thinking
of putting in grommets to hold rings). Any other suggestions? (Our
mast & boom will be aluminum tubes). Thanks!

If you cut strips of sail cloth and fold (triple thickness) or roll them
up and sew them on (called "rubands") then the loops will be the same
colour as the sail which makes everthing look nice. I got the suggestion
from TF Jones' "Boats to Go" and used them on a nylon spritsail. It goes
on a hand carved solid wooden mast which is not a smooth as aluminum, and
after 7 years they show no wear. Photos of the sail on my website under
"Blue Canoe" and "DogSkiff"

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Brian Whatcott February 23rd 04 06:10 PM

sailmaking questions

On 23 Feb 2004 04:45:57 -0800, (sandy) wrote:

Carl McCarty wrote in message

I am curious- did you find this material at Wal-Mart also?
Thanks, Carl McCarty

Yep....Walmart! I'd really just about decided to buy some
dacron...but when I wandered through the fabric section of Walmart, I
found this stuff. At $1/yd it's worth it just for the practice....but
it looks good. Really curious to see how it all works out. It's
really strong (one edge of the fabric was imperfect and "ribboned". I
couldn't tear these small ribbons), you can't blow through it, I've
tried stretching it and can't notice stretch, and you can melt it with
a match. Clerk had no idea what kind of fabric it was. I gathered
that they get all sorts of seconds, rejects, etc. Looking forward to
raising our bright yellow sail.

By the way....Any suggestions for "rings" to connect it to mast &
boom? Hubby wants to just use some twine. I'm looking at some
plastic shower rings that we've had stored away forever (and thinking
of putting in grommets to hold rings). Any other suggestions? (Our
mast & boom will be aluminum tubes). Thanks!

Sandy

Sandy

Having used a "sail in mast-groove" concoction quite successfully for
a land yacht, something similar might be arranged for a small boat
with an aluminum mast by fixing aluminum curtain rail to the mast rear
surface. The curtain rollers are smooth running, as I recall.

Brian W

Rodney Myrvaagnes February 23rd 04 09:29 PM

sailmaking questions

[...]

Sew in sleeves to go over the spars that need attachment. Make the
boom loosefooted, reinforcing tack and clew.

There is no real reason to lace the sail to the boom.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Never eat more in a single day than your head weighs." --Jim Harrison

Old Nick February 24th 04 03:17 AM

sailmaking questions

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:47:37 -0800, "Steve" vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Correction:

This line should read " Modern sail fabrics CAN'T cope with this slight bias
stretching and with wrinkle. "

will wrinkle.... G

Sorry. reminds me of a story about a news articel about an old soldier
who had died. He was described a a "battle scared veteran" in the
paper. When asked to reprint, it came out "Bottle scarred veteran" G
************************************************** ** sorry

..........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Old Nick February 24th 04 03:17 AM

sailmaking questions

On 23 Feb 2004 04:45:57 -0800, (sandy) vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Ok. No expert. BU here are some tips that I have not seen covered.

Watch out stretch. Cloth stretches most at the diagonal of the weave.
This should be accounted for when cutting the cloth. Borders should be
as close as possible to following the thread, or well-bordered. You
may know this from other sewing

My concern with the cloth that you have is sunlight. If it's some sort
of seconds sail-shade stuff, then you are on a winner.

You can cut sails from a single piece of cloth, and many aboat has
hapily been sailed with a sheet! G But sails are cut to have shape.
This allows better sailing, especially upwind. They are cut to imitate
a wing shape, as much as possible, when seen by the wind, with the
complication of a changing width of the sail as you get higher. They
are also cut to give some "belly" for more downwind work. Have a look
at a multi-segment beachball to see how a round shape can be made from
flat panels.

If you plan to use curtain rings for holding ghe sail, they had better
be strong ones. I am not sure what you are thinking of, but there can
be quite a bit of force at points holding a sail in place. Don't like
the plastic ones for this.

Just a question. Is the mast unstayed? If you have rings around it, it
will have to be. Believe me, I ask this because I am the sort of
person who would overlook just such a thing in the process of work.

sandy February 24th 04 12:06 PM

sailmaking questions

Thank you everybody for your great suggestions. You're great! We've
been having a ball making "Gusto" (our self-designed 10' nesting
sailboat). Hit a few "bumps" along the way but we've already gotten
our money's worth just in the enjoyment we've had making it. Can't
wait to actually bring out the champagne!

Sandy

Stephen Baker February 24th 04 12:29 PM

sailmaking questions

Sandy the Paleo nut says:

We've
been having a ball making "Gusto" (our self-designed 10' nesting
sailboat).

I don't recall any pictures being mentioned. There is a tradition, y'know, of
sharing these things.....

;-)

Steve

William R. Watt February 24th 04 12:55 PM

sailmaking questions

Stephen Baker ) writes:
Sandy the Paleo nut says:

We've
been having a ball making "Gusto" (our self-designed 10' nesting
sailboat).

I don't recall any pictures being mentioned. There is a tradition, y'know, of
sharing these things.....

;-)

If a builder of a small boat does not have the equipment to put photos on
a website, photos can be sent to www.duckworksmagazine.com to be put on
the website there along with a description. A lot of the stuff posted
there now requires a paid membership to view, but photos of small home
built bats are usually exempt and can be viewed without paying the fee.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Old Nick February 25th 04 12:22 AM

sailmaking questions

On 24 Feb 2004 12:29:05 GMT, ospam (Stephen Baker)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Sandy the Paleo nut says:

We've
been having a ball making "Gusto" (our self-designed 10' nesting
sailboat).

I don't recall any pictures being mentioned. There is a tradition, y'know, of
sharing these things.....

Just not HERE.
************************************************** ** sorry

..........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Old Nick February 25th 04 12:22 AM

sailmaking questions

On 24 Feb 2004 04:06:09 -0800, (sandy) vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I assume from this post that you, and your life partner are building a
boat together and _enjoying_ it?

Goodness gracious! What _have_ we here? A couple of freaks? G

Do you go sailing and/or canoeing together by any chance?

sigh....looks back at many hours of warfare......