Walter Alter

Default Faraday cage for lightning

Are faraday cages a practical and effective way to protect boat electronics
from lightning? Assuming one is near an electrical storm and has time to
disconnect all antenna and power leads, and insure that radio, radar,
computer etc. are inside a shielded box, what sort of shielding would be
minimal? Would a wire mesh screen work? What gauge and mesh?

Walter

Brian Whatcott

I have my doubts - the electric field would be well-shielded, but that
major current pulse nearby would be unimpeded.

Brian W

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 03:51:42 GMT, "Walter Alter"
wrote:

Are faraday cages a practical and effective way to protect boat electronics
from lightning? Assuming one is near an electrical storm and has time to
disconnect all antenna and power leads, and insure that radio, radar,
computer etc. are inside a shielded box, what sort of shielding would be
minimal? Would a wire mesh screen work? What gauge and mesh?

Walter

Ed Askew

Here's a link to a website on lightening protection for your boat.
It's a pretty complicated subject:

http://www.thomson.ece.ufl.edu/lightning/

Ed.

"Walter Alter" wrote in message ink.net...
Are faraday cages a practical and effective way to protect boat electronics
from lightning? Assuming one is near an electrical storm and has time to
disconnect all antenna and power leads, and insure that radio, radar,
computer etc. are inside a shielded box, what sort of shielding would be
minimal? Would a wire mesh screen work? What gauge and mesh?

Walter

Glenn Ashmore

Why? Ewen Thomson is the #1 authority on yacht lightning strikes.

JAXAshby wrote:
be careful of that link.

Here's a link to a website on lightening protection for your boat.
It's a pretty complicated subject:

http://www.thomson.ece.ufl.edu/lightning/

Ed.

hlink.net...

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

JAXAshby

Why? Ewen Thomson is the #1 authority on yacht lightning strikes.

only in his own mind. Thomson reportedly also sells his "expert testimony" in
trial cases.

If you want to get info on lightning and how it interacts with a sailboat, ask
Practical Sailor for a copy of their issue re lightning. Rather interesting,
and no one has ever suggested an unstated agenda.

JAXAshby wrote:
be careful of that link.

Here's a link to a website on lightening protection for your boat.
It's a pretty complicated subject:

http://www.thomson.ece.ufl.edu/lightning/

Ed.

thlink.net...