posted to rec.boats.building
Rusty

Default Powder Coat or Paint

I am having an aluminum dodger built for my sailboat. I want it to be white
when it's finished.

The question is, should I have it powder coated or painted? Either is
possible, and not out of line for cost. I am looking for durability,
long-term looks, and ability to make minor repairs.

Any thoughts either for or against each option?

Thanks,
Rusty

posted to rec.boats.building
RW Salnick

If it were me, I'd use a 2-part urethane on it. The finish is superb,
and that stuff is *HARD*. Also, when patch/repairs are needed, it will
be easier to match the existing finish.

bob

Rusty wrote:
I am having an aluminum dodger built for my sailboat. I want it to be white
when it's finished.

The question is, should I have it powder coated or painted? Either is
possible, and not out of line for cost. I am looking for durability,
long-term looks, and ability to make minor repairs.

Any thoughts either for or against each option?

Thanks,
Rusty

posted to rec.boats.building
Richard Lamb

Rusty wrote:

I am having an aluminum dodger built for my sailboat. I want it to be
white when it's finished.

The question is, should I have it powder coated or painted? Either is
possible, and not out of line for cost. I am looking for durability,
long-term looks, and ability to make minor repairs.

Any thoughts either for or against each option?

Thanks,
Rusty

Power coat can chip leaving water access under the film.

My preferred treatment for aluminum is Epi-Bond.

Two-part epoxy primer used in aircraft service.

Paint with two-part urethane after several weeks cure.

Richard

Rusty wrote:

I am having an aluminum dodger built for my sailboat. I want it to be
white when it's finished.

The question is, should I have it powder coated or painted? Either is
possible, and not out of line for cost. I am looking for durability,
long-term looks, and ability to make minor repairs.

Any thoughts either for or against each option?

Thanks,
Rusty

Power coat can chip leaving water access under the film.

My preferred treatment for aluminum is Epi-Bond.

Two-part epoxy primer used in aircraft service.

Paint with two-part urethane after several weeks cure.

Richard

Of course you can etch first. It doesn't hurt anything.
But all it really needs is a good rub with scotchbrite
to clean the surfaces.

Mix epi-bond and catalyst - then add epoxy thinner to thin to
spraying consistency.

SPRAY the epi-bond rather than brush it.
It sets up too fast to flow out smooth and will show brush marks.

The stuff cures hard in less than an hour.
But it will continue to cure for quite a while.

I'd wait a few weeks before final painting.
Dunno if that's necessary or not, but not bad advice.

A quart kit will probably cover your dodger.

Try it, you'll like it...

Richard

posted to rec.boats.building
MMC

Thanks Richard.
I'm not the original poster, but I do want to paint my sticks and this is
helpful.
MMC
"Richard Lamb" wrote in message
.net...

Rusty wrote:

[...]

Courtney Thomas

Rusty wrote:

[...]

Would epi-bond + LPU be a sound way to refinish aluminum masts or
somethin' else ?

What does it cost and where have you gotten the best price ?

Thanks,
Courtney

Rusty wrote:

[...]

Apologies, but I neglected to ask......

Would epi-bond also equally satisfactory for a stainless bimini frame
and would it look the same as on aluminum ?

Thanks again,

Courtney

Courtney Thomas wrote:

Richard,

Would epi-bond + LPU be a sound way to refinish aluminum masts or
somethin' else ?

What does it cost and where have you gotten the best price ?

Thanks,
Courtney

Any aircraft supply. Check the yellow pages for a local #.

Aircraft Spruce, of course, but I prefer to do business at Wicks
when I can. Nice people and fewer order mishaps (by far).

This might just take you right to it, if it doesn't wrap...
http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog...h=ZXBpYm9uZA==

Aircraft Spruce lists the reducer (thinner).
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cs/primers.html

one note: after mixing, allow to stand for 15 minutes or so to "gell"
before spraying.

Sorry I can't quote square foot coverage.
We tend to do lots of small parts, or very skinny tube frames.
Lot's of spray waste even with HVLP.
On the other hand, it covers really well.

You'll have to help me out with LPU.
I know a bunch of Las, and a few LFLAs, but LPU escapes me...

I'd highly recommend Epibond (white) or RandoPlate (green) for
any and all aluminum used aboard - salt water on not.

Use a wet-look urethane top paint for shiny things, or base coat/clear
coat if you want.

Richard

TLA Three Letter Abbreviation
LFLA Longer Four Letter Abbreviation

Bottom Paint Question Jim, General 5 December 28th 05 11:01 PM
Ceramic substitute for bottom paint? [email protected] General 7 December 23rd 05 02:48 AM
Thinning epoxy barrier coat Robert or Karen Swarts Boat Building 23 December 6th 05 08:36 PM
Bottom paint on prop beaufortnc Cruising 50 December 1st 05 12:41 AM
temporary primer paint Evan Gatehouse Boat Building 3 November 9th 05 11:41 PM