Ruth Ann

Default Single person boat built out of two liter bottles

I want to build a boat out of two liter soda bottles.
Why? Why not? I can make the time and the space to do it and it's
something I've wanted to do for a while.
I've looked on the web, but haven't found any sites on doing something
like this or any people who have done anything like this.

So, my question, does anyone know of any web sites that talk about
something like this or people who have an idea of how to go about
something like this?
I'm an engineer, so I've got some ideas on how to start, but would
like to see what others have done and have someone to bounce ideas
off.

Thanks
Ruth Ann
JAXAshby

Minneapolis used to (and may still have) the "Milk Carton Boat Race" during its
summer Aquatenial each year. Some very highly creative uses of milk cartons to
make things float. Maybe a search on that? Maybe some Minneapolitans might
know?

I want to build a boat out of two liter soda bottles.
Why? Why not? I can make the time and the space to do it and it's
something I've wanted to do for a while.
I've looked on the web, but haven't found any sites on doing something
like this or any people who have done anything like this.

So, my question, does anyone know of any web sites that talk about
something like this or people who have an idea of how to go about
something like this?
I'm an engineer, so I've got some ideas on how to start, but would
like to see what others have done and have someone to bounce ideas
off.

Thanks
Ruth Ann

Stephen Baker

Ruth Ann says:

I want to build a boat out of two liter soda bottles.

I would think you'd need more than two.....

sorry - couldn't resist

Steve
Backyard Renegade

(Ruth Ann) wrote in message . com...
I want to build a boat out of two liter soda bottles.
Why? Why not? I can make the time and the space to do it and it's
something I've wanted to do for a while.
I've looked on the web, but haven't found any sites on doing something
like this or any people who have done anything like this.

So, my question, does anyone know of any web sites that talk about
something like this or people who have an idea of how to go about
something like this?
I'm an engineer, so I've got some ideas on how to start, but would
like to see what others have done and have someone to bounce ideas
off.

Thanks
Ruth Ann

Well, we could start by asking what kind of boat do you want? That is
to ask, what do you need your boat to do, in what conditions, how big,
how many people, how will it be powered, transported? Sometimes folks
don't understand why we ask these things, but trust me, it makes a
difference.

Anyway, consider a female mold, skinned over with pourable foam then
stick on a bunch of bottles, fill in around the bottles with more
foam, skin the inside of the hull. The biggest problem I see is
attaching them in and creating stiffness in the whole structure,
assuming you are thinking a hard hull. I don't know of any adhesive
that would work so you will have to use a mechanical bond of some
sort, either sewing, tying, or surrounding and encapsulating them
somehow. Maybe you should consider smaller bottles, thinner sides.
Again, a lot depends on how big your boat needs to be, and what it
needs to do for you.
Scotty from SmallBoats.com

William R. Watt

the bottles will provide bouyancy if they can be tightly sealed, but you'll
need a framework something to give the boat its shape. maybe you could
figure out some way to fasten the bottles together end-to-end and use them
as "planks".

one way to tell if a plastic bottle is watertight is to put some water in
it, put the cap on, turn it upside down, and squeeze. if water comes out
its not watertight. that's a Bill Mason canoe camping test which I've used
on plastic containers to carry things like food and camera.

Ruth Ann ) writes:
I want to build a boat out of two liter soda bottles.
Why? Why not? I can make the time and the space to do it and it's
something I've wanted to do for a while.
I've looked on the web, but haven't found any sites on doing something
like this or any people who have done anything like this.

So, my question, does anyone know of any web sites that talk about
something like this or people who have an idea of how to go about
something like this?
I'm an engineer, so I've got some ideas on how to start, but would
like to see what others have done and have someone to bounce ideas
off.

Thanks
Ruth Ann

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Ruth Ann

Some more information.

I want this to be a boat (something that has definite sides, as
opposed to a raft that is more flat) that will carry at least one
person (that would be me). I'm thinking something with a vaguely
canoe type shape. Power provided by the occupant via either a canoe
or kayak paddle. I want to build this in my garage and it needs to be
of a size and weight that one person can move it around and transport
it in the bed of a small pick-up truck (I have a Ford Ranger with a
bed that's roughly 4 feet wide and 6 feet long with the tailgate up,
but securing it for transport with the tailgate down shouldn't be too
much of a problem.)

I forsee using this boat in calm water conditions on a still river or
small lake. (Places that are within easy driving distance of
southwest Fort Worth, Texas, if you're familiar with the area.)

What I've figured out so far is that I can secure two bottle together
at the caps by drilling a hole through each cap, bolting the caps
together, screwing the caps back on and sealing them with something
(I'm thinking silicone caulk or possible liquid nails or something).

One of the main things I'm trying to figure out now is how to connect
more than two bottles. I don't see an easy way to connect bottles by
means other than the cap, without compromising the structural
integrity of the bottles.

One of my cubemates suggested cutting off the bottom of some of the
bottles and putting another bottle inside and then gluing (or
caulking) the seams. While this would probably solve the issue of
connecting more bottles end to end, it doesn't help me connect bottles
on the sides (which I will need to do to get more than just a long
string of bottles). So, I'm still thinking about that one. I'm
looking for something a bit more sophisticated and more durable than
duct tape or rubber bands to hold the bottles together.

Also, I don't want something that has a shell and then uses bottles
for floation. I want people to look at this boat and be able to
instantly understand that this is a boat that is completly made out of
two liter bottles (and something that holds them together and
something that seals the bottles).
Steve Goldfarb

I'm visualizing a series of frames, where each frame is a section of the
hull, made out of wood or metal or something. Each frame has an
alternating series of bottle caps and bottle "cups" attached to it, where
a bottle "cup" is one of those plastic things that they used to put over
the base of a 2-liter bottle to give it stability. Don't know if you can
still get those - might have to make something equivalent. Maybe some kind
of plastic bowl or something. If you built the cup right, it might let you
adjust the bottle angle so that you could narrow your bow and stern (I
suppose you'd have to be able to adjust the cap angles as well)

So now you have the bottles alternating cap-left then cap-right, so you
could screw all the bottles into the caps then attach the frames together
to form your hull by gluing the bottle-bottoms into the cups.

Wouldn't be water-tight, of course, you'd need a liner or something.

Interesting idea...

--sg

--
---------------------------------------
Buy my boat!

steveJ

Fastening the bottles together by using a bolt type fastener
would be risky because it requires piercing the bottle. The constant
flexing would cause a leak regardless of what you seal it with.

The solution is to shift your thinking from the obvious to the
opposite of the obvious. Instead of thinking of the bottles as
flotation, think of them as NOT flotation. What else could they be?
Well they are primarily designed as containers, not floaters, so let's
think of them as containers.

Here is my solution.
Drill a hole through the top cap and bottom of each bottle so you can
fasten them end to end with bolts, nuts, and washers. Don't worry about
them leaking because they will. Each string of bottles is a hull plank
and you will need to play around with how these will be assembled
to suit your needs. I imagine a Kon Tiki type raft but you can shape it
any way you want depending in your desires and ingenuity. The basic
unit is a string of bottles "X" bottles long. The planks should be
lashed together with plastic twine, as natural jute twine would clash
with the aesthetics qualities of the other materials. Assemble, or tie
them into a canoe like shape.
Now, go to your local Planned Parenhood organization and ask them if
they will underwrite your project. Ask them to donate a condom for each
bottle. Possibly solicit area businesses to purchase a condom from
planned Parenthood and donate it to the project reminding them that
charitable donations are tax deductable and it is for a good
cause.(Preferably only new condoms should be used.) Disassemble each
"plank" and fill each bottle with an inflated condom which you blow up
.....uh....inflate inside the bottle and tie, thus creating "individually
protected flotation bladders" within each bottle. Colored condoms could
be used tastefully to add additional aesthetic quality to the hull.
Float your boat proudly while displaying the Planned Parenthood banner
and solicit other area businesses to offer suggested names for the
vessel...."Wet Dream, etc." Monetary proceeds could be distributed to
local family planning services and recycling efforts.
Above all...have fun!

SteveJ

18 feet boat christos Boat Building 14 December 3rd 03 10:57 PM
1st boat help Diverguy General 21 November 12th 03 06:40 PM
Am I chasing my tail?? AP Boat Building 13 November 10th 03 01:56 PM
Interesting history on a pretty neat boat..... Gould 0738 General 3 August 29th 03 03:24 PM