posted to rec.boats.building
William R. Watt

Default Cartoper:

You're welcome to try any of the free tiny solo sail-and-paddle boats on
my website www.ncf.ca/~ag384/Boats.htm . They're all experimental light
weight cheap boats. I have a lot of fun with them. Of course short boats
are slow.

There are lots of links to free designs at www.boat-links.com.
Gavin Atkins has quite a few free small boat designs. Go to
www.duckworksmagazine.com and search on his name to link to his website.
lso search Duckworks for Richard Frye's kayaks for fishing.

www.gaboats.com has light skin over frame boats which are more time
consuming to build than plywood boats, but much lighter.

posted to rec.boats.building
Patrick Crockett

William R. Watt wrote:
Watch the weight. It's a challenge to build a boat light enough to lift on
and off the roof of a car yet large enough to be of much use. Canoes
and kayaks are popular because they are light. Decide before hand if you
will be doing the lifting yourself or have a helper. That will govern the
size and weight of boat you can practically carry on the roof of a car.
Some people make gin pole hoists so they can lift bigger boats solo.

I don't disagree, but thought I'd point out that when I build my Bolger
Windsprint (16' sailboat), I car-topped. I had a battleship-sized
Pontiac station wagon from the 70s at the time -- neither of my current
cars would be big enough for it. And I would have a backache for a week
if I tried to put the Windsprint on top of a car today.

BTW, there are plenty of plywood kayak designs available.
http://www.clcboats.com has some nice ones, as well as a couple pulling
boats and small sailboats.

Patrick