Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Jim Bailey

Default First timer - Garvey 15

http://www.boatplans-online.com/prod....php?prod=GV15

Would this boat be OK for a first time builder ?
Let me qualify that a bit.

I'm a pretty good hobby woodworker (cabinets, furniture, etc.) but I'm down
to basic portable power (hand) tools these days. I've worked on smaller
areas on our Hatteras with West System products before, and Formula 27, etc,
and I'm prepping/painting with Awlgrip right now, so I understand the basics
of working with epoxy, fillers, paint etc, but never anything of this scale
and surfaces this large or using the fiberglass cloth that's required for
covering.

The intent is to replace a 13' Whaler we had to let go of (finances). I was
hoping maybe I could replace it and at the same time learn a lot, and also
have some pride knowing I did it myself. We use it for a tender (we don't
fish) and it stays in the water all the time and towed behind the Hatt.

I really got used to tilt/trim we had with the 40 Johnson on the Whaler -
would this boat be OK with a motor like that (although larger I suppose, for
this boat) ?

I guess I'd even consider buying the kits shown on the site, but at that
point I'd have as much in it as to go find another Whaler. Plus, the more I
can do myself, the more I can learn and be proud of it when it's done. At
this point I just tossing the idea around.

What do you think ?

jim bailey