BoatBanter.com

-   -   Ships Wheel Purchase (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/62729-ships-wheel-purchase.html)

Brian Whatcott November 11th 05 10:56 PM

Ships Wheel Purchase

Folks, I bid on a ships wheel.
On eBay. And now, I need advice.

The price was low - $10 and the shipping was moderate.- $16.
So I won, and I paid fast, as I always do.

A few days later, I got an eBay note from the shipper saying he had
mistaken the shipping.
It came to $56 and could I help? And to let him know when I received
the wheel.

I was struck by the gentleness of this note.
While it is true I would not have bid on an impulse knowing the
shipping would be $56 (reminds me of those Chinese works of art - cost
$5, shipping $148) - I am inclined to favor the seller in some way.

Would anyone advise me?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Roger Derby November 11th 05 11:19 PM

Ships Wheel Purchase

Sounds like a scam to me. Con artists are renowned for their people skills.

Where is he shipping from, China?

Make sure you leave negative feedback to help others avoid similar problems.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

Glenn Ashmore November 11th 05 11:31 PM

Ships Wheel Purchase

What is the size of the wheel? He was probably quoted on weight but the
size limit got him. UPS really reams you if the girth + length exceeds
their limit 165" limit or some ratio of size to weight is out of range.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Brian Whatcott November 12th 05 12:19 AM

Ships Wheel Purchase

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:31:46 -0500, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

What is the size of the wheel? He was probably quoted on weight but the
size limit got him. UPS really reams you if the girth + length exceeds
their limit 165" limit or some ratio of size to weight is out of range.

I looked over the eBay copy here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6574547864

This really does not provide a good size description. It was a
"calculate price using your mailcode UPS ground" shipment offer, I
see.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

November 12th 05 01:35 AM

Ships Wheel Purchase

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message

Folks, I bid on a ships wheel.
On eBay. And now, I need advice.

The price was low - $10 and the shipping was moderate.- $16.
So I won, and I paid fast, as I always do.

A deal is a deal. If you go through the hassle of getting in contact with a
'human' at Ebay, they'll tell you the same thing- stick with the auction as
described and closed. If the seller screwed up, that's NOT your problem.

Too many scams out there.

Glenn Ashmore November 12th 05 02:48 AM

Ships Wheel Purchase

That looks like an ornamental wheel. It seems to be sitting on a shelf that
can't be wider than 24" judging from the cabinet doors in front so it is not
over size for UPS. He could have added any handling charges to the shipping
calculator when he listed the item. I would hold him to the deal. .

Carl November 12th 05 03:47 AM

Ships Wheel Purchase

Wow - tough crowd. We're talking a $10 wheel! This sure doesn't look
like a scam. The seller's got a 100% feedback rating with 78 feedbacks.
And he sent the wheel before asking for extra money?

It would have been better if the seller had contacted you to say that
shipping was wrong and asked if you wanted to cancel and get a refund.
If it has already shipped, I guess I would wait for the wheel to arrive
and then probably send him something extra if I liked it. Surprise him
with kindness!

Carl

Brian Cleverly November 12th 05 04:45 AM

Ships Wheel Purchase

Brian Whatcott wrote:

Folks, I bid on a ships wheel.
On eBay. And now, I need advice.

The price was low - $10 and the shipping was moderate.- $16.
So I won, and I paid fast, as I always do.

A few days later, I got an eBay note from the shipper saying he had
mistaken the shipping.
It came to $56 and could I help? And to let him know when I received
the wheel.

I was struck by the gentleness of this note.
While it is true I would not have bid on an impulse knowing the
shipping would be $56 (reminds me of those Chinese works of art - cost
$5, shipping $148) - I am inclined to favor the seller in some way.

Would anyone advise me?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Brian,

I see the seller is in WA... I don't know where you reside, BUT, I bought a
similar wheel early this year (Ebay) from a seller in TN... I live in CA and
the shipping on my wheel was:

Insurance: 1.30
Shipping and Handling: 9.95

Unless he is shipping FedEx overnight priority I say he is getting at you...

Stand your ground. Its his error in not checking beforehand.

Brian C

Brian Whatcott November 12th 05 07:09 PM

Ships Wheel Purchase

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:45:12 -0800, Brian Cleverly
wrote:

Brian Whatcott wrote:

[...]

Now THAT was an interesting response. Can I ask how big was the wheel
you bought?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

noexpert November 12th 05 10:04 PM

Ships Wheel Purchase

If all seams fair , no scams etc why not try compromise 50/50 or so. but I
would check out real shipping cost as a reference. Live is too short to
worry