BoatBanter.com

-   -   After 2.5 years we got her started this weekend... (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6218-after-2-5-years-we-got-her-started-weekend.html)

Gary Warner October 27th 03 04:41 PM

After 2.5 years we got her started this weekend...

As many of you know, we've been working for the last 2+ years
on Delilah, our 1958 22' Chris-Craft. She still hasn't seen the water
but on Saturday we started the engine for the first time. That was
a big milestone after having had the engine out, putting in some
new valves, having the carb, water pump, head, and "everything else"
all apart. She started right up and purred beautifully.

The only problem was the water pump seems to be trying to pump
in the wrong direction. It's a gear pump that drives right off the
engine (no belt). I'm guessing that the two gears in there were just
put in backwards. This should be very easy to fix.

Last week we also ordered our axels and such, so in a few weeks we
can start making a trailer. We though we'd have her in this year...but
now it really looks like NEXT year we can finally have some fun on the
water.

Thanks for all the help I've received here!!
Gary

Steve October 27th 03 06:36 PM

After 2.5 years we got her started this weekend...

Gary, I have to admit, I haven't been paying too much attention to your
progress on the Chris Craft.

However, having had a '59 with twin 283 chev. engines, I know they can be
configured to run right or left hand.. Mine didn't have direct driven water
pump.. Strangely they were mounted on the back of the Generator which was
belt driven.

If your gear water pump is driven off the cam shaft, distributor shaft then
my next question would be wheather you have changed the timing from gear to
chain or vice/versa. This would change the rotation of the water pump, cam,
distributor/oil pump.

But, then again, you say it "starts up and purred beautifully".

I can't see where changing the gears in the pump around would change it's
rotation.

Just my thoughts, FWIW.

Steve

Gary Warner October 27th 03 10:19 PM

After 2.5 years we got her started this weekend...

"Rob V" wrote in message
. com...
Gary - can you post some pics of the project?

Rob,

I have some pics up on Shutterfly at: http://tinyurl.com/k0kk

Tomorrow (Tues 10/28) when I get to a high speed connection I'll
add a few more including the ones from this weekend.

Thanks for asking.

Gary Warner October 27th 03 10:24 PM

After 2.5 years we got her started this weekend...

"Steve" wrote in message

Yea, this is a single screw boat and we didn't change any rotation. The
water pump
connects right to/where the distributor does so it's run off that...and we
didn't make
any changes there. ~ We did have the water pump apart, mostly because we
wanted
so see what was in there and how it worked. Basically it's two long gears
that mesh
with each other. Seems like as they spin they create a flow. I also don't
see how
the gears could have gone in backwards - or in any other way - but logically
I'm
thinking...we took the pump apart...we didn't change anything else...and now
it pumps
but in the wrong direction....we *must* have put it together wrong. Well,
just have to
get time to get down to the shop and see.

Thanks for the comments.

Gary

Gary Warner October 27th 03 10:26 PM

After 2.5 years we got her started this weekend...

PS:

The 25th picture here (on the second page) is of the water pump
when it's apart.

http://tinyurl.com/k0kk

William R. Watt October 27th 03 10:57 PM

"Gary Warner" ) writes:

... I also don't
see how
the gears could have gone in backwards - or in any other way - but logically
I'm
thinking...we took the pump apart...we didn't change anything else...and now
it pumps
but in the wrong direction....we *must* have put it together wrong. Well,
just have to
get time to get down to the shop and see.

sounds like the whole engine is running backwards. you'll find out when
the boat is launched and it goes backwards. :)

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

jchaplain October 27th 03 11:31 PM

After 2.5 years we got her started this weekend...

Wow, what a project!
Thats quite an inspirational groups of pictures you posted.
Great to see. Go for it guy!

John C.

DSK October 27th 03 11:41 PM

Gary Warner wrote:

I have some pics up on Shutterfly at: http://tinyurl.com/k0kk

Tomorrow (Tues 10/28) when I get to a high speed connection I'll
add a few more including the ones from this weekend.

That's a great looking boat.

About the water pump, are there check valves involved? I missed most
of this thread so I don't know if the subject has already been
discussed.

Regards
Doug King

Rick October 27th 03 11:44 PM

Gary Warner wrote:

but in the wrong direction....we *must* have put it together wrong.

That type of gear pump works by creating a low pressure area (suction)
at the center of the casing where the gears move apart. The liquid is
transported around the casing in the space between the "gear teeth" and
then displaced (discharged) as the gears mesh again on the opposite side
from the inlet.

The only thing that could have happened is that the previous owner
turned the casing around and/or plumbed the pump backwards, or you are
misinterpreting the direction of flow. Is it possible that you are
mistaken in what you believe is the correct direction of flow?

If nothing else, just go ahead and replumb the suction and discharge to
work the right way. I see it uses a collection of fittings to reverse
the direction of the piping on one side anyway ...

Rick