William R. Watt

Default small boat toilette?

My intent was to keep the odour out of the cabin. Will the self contained
units do that? I could seal off a 2x2ft head in the cabin if that would keep
the air fresh. On pocket cruisers people used to be able to put the whole
unit outside in the cockpit at night. Now I assume it has to be bolted in
to keep people from dumping it over the side. Can't even take it home at
the end of a weekend cruise and flush into the municipal system?

Peggie Hall ) writes:
I hit send before noting that you're in Canada. Canadian law requires
that all portapotties be permanently installed and fitted for pumpout.
Since most mfrs offer models that are designed to be--look for an MSD
designation in the model name/#--this won't present any problems. The
best quality IMO is the SeaLand Sanipottie...their 964MSD holds 3.2
gallons, their 965MSD model holds 5.6 gallons. Price for the 965 is
about $125 USD at West Marine...you can prob'ly beat that price by quite
a bit if you shop hard.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Peggie Hall

William R. Watt wrote:
My intent was to keep the odour out of the cabin. Will the self contained
units do that?

Properly installed and maintained, there shouldn't be any odor. It's
only when portapotties aren't properly maintained that they stink. A
lack of proper maintenance is MORE likely to cause a marine toilet
toilet and remote holding tank to stink--and especially the hoses
connecting them--than a portapotty. Use a product in the portapotty tank
that suppresses odor...have it pumped out regularly...rinse out the tank
with each pumpout--much easier to do in a portapotty than a remote
tank--and you won't have any odor.

I could seal off a 2x2ft head in the cabin if that would keep
the air fresh. On pocket cruisers people used to be able to put the whole
unit outside in the cockpit at night. Now I assume it has to be bolted in
to keep people from dumping it over the side. Can't even take it home at
the end of a weekend cruise and flush into the municipal system?

Nope...not in Canada. But's it NOT that hard to maintain...honest!

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

William R. Watt

thank you for the helpful information.

one of my earliest memories of visting my grandfatehr's farm as a 2 yr old
is kneeling on the floor beside the bed in the middle of the night trying
to rise up high enough to pee over the lip of the chamber pot. the other
memory is trying to climb back up into the bed afterwards. kids get it too
soft now. no character building challenges.

Peggie Hall ) writes:
William R. Watt wrote:
[...]

Peggie Hall

William R. Watt wrote:
thank you for the helpful information.

one of my earliest memories of visting my grandfatehr's farm as a 2 yr old
is kneeling on the floor beside the bed in the middle of the night trying
to rise up high enough to pee over the lip of the chamber pot. the other
memory is trying to climb back up into the bed afterwards. kids get it too
soft now. no character building challenges.

I have similar memories of early childhood visits to my own
grandparents' farm...the pot was considerably wider than my skinny 3-4
yr old little bottom. The challenge for me half asleep in the middle of
the night was sitting on it without ending up folded up in it with my
knees against my nose...on one or two occasions, I wasn't successful.

When you're ready to install the portapotty, let me know. There are some
minor modifications that need to be made to ensure there'll be no odor.

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM