mark s

Default reupholstering boat seats

Does anyone know of any website that specializes in custom
reupholstered boat seats? I have back-to-back boat seats & possibly
interior in need of reupholstering. I'd like to get some ideas for
different color combinations and designs and if possible, I'd like to
digitally see what they will look like.

-Mark
Rod McInnis

"mark s" wrote in message
Does anyone know of any website that specializes in custom
reupholstered boat seats? I have back-to-back boat seats & possibly
interior in need of reupholstering. I'd like to get some ideas for
different color combinations and designs and if possible, I'd like to
digitally see what they will look like.

Mark:

That is way too broad of a question to get detailed information.

If you have existing seats and you need to have them recovered then there
should be a number of local shops that can do the job. A really good shop
would be able to custom make just about anything you want as far as color
combinations and such. A cheaper and/or less creative shop might want to
use the existing upholstery as a pattern for the new, and thus it would be
difficult to change the basic color patterns. In either case, the
upholstery shop will have their prefence in materials and color
combinations.

You may have to visit a number of shops before you find one that can do
what you want. Take a picture of what you have now, and if the seat bottoms
come up easily, take one along with you. Describe what you want to the
shop. If they indicate that they can do it, ask to see some samples. They
should have a photo album showing similar work they have done.

If the seat frames are deteriorated on not suitable for what you want done
then there is an entirely different skill set you need. In addition to
upholstery work you need a carpenter. One who knows and understands boats,
knows that the seats will be getting wet and sitting out in the weather.

For examples of color combinations, the best place to look is at other
boats. Take your digital camera and go visit the new boat showrooms. Or
used boat lots. Or the local marina. Or maybe the web sites for similar
boats manufacturers.

When you select material, I recommend material that has a UV protection.
Make sure the shop uses either stainless or Monel staples.

Rod

Lawrence James

West marine sells generic seats that may be cost competitive if you seat
frames are shot. There are a lot of variations in seats so I don't think
there is anyone selling just covers. If you need lots of upholstery then
you're best bet is to shop around locally and then take the whole boat to
them. If you're looking to save money then the flat stuff is pretty easy to
do yourself and you can just take the seats to the shop.

"mark s" wrote in message
Does anyone know of any website that specializes in custom
reupholstered boat seats? I have back-to-back boat seats & possibly
interior in need of reupholstering. I'd like to get some ideas for
different color combinations and designs and if possible, I'd like to
digitally see what they will look like.

-Mark

bowgus

And if they're vinyl and just faded and not torn, just repaint in your color
with vinyl paint. My understanding ... that's pretty much how it's done on
the vinyl assembly line.

"mark s" wrote in message
Does anyone know of any website that specializes in custom
reupholstered boat seats? I have back-to-back boat seats & possibly
interior in need of reupholstering. I'd like to get some ideas for
different color combinations and designs and if possible, I'd like to
digitally see what they will look like.

-Mark

mark s

Thanks Rod.
My boat is already at the upholstery shop and the upholsterer said he
can make any pattern / color I want. He's waiting on me! I wanted to
see some type of "model" to see what the seat/color combo will look
like, prior to actually having it done! This is more difficult than I
anticipated! I've been scanning boattraderonline.com and looking at
interiors...
The boat is an 84 sea ray w/ some brown wood. The upholstery is
brown, but its torn and going to be replaced. I want to get a decent
color combo to match the wood and other brown tones in the boat - but
I'm not really fond of the brown colored seats (which would match!)

-mark