BoatBanter.com

-   -   Titebond II (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6168-titebond-ii.html)

Brian Whatcott October 13th 03 10:39 PM

Titebond II

Yesterday, I was applying two by four doublers to one or two rafters
and perlins in the roofspace of the homestread, cracked or broken
after half a century's service. I left one doubler stud overnight,
with some Titebond carpenter's glue applied to one face.

This morning, I noticed I had left a fender washer on the glue face,
and the glue had set 15 hours later.
I tapped at the steel washer's edge to no avail, and finally hammered
it off. It came away with a surface layer of softwood.

I was more than impressed, not expecting such good metal/wood
bonding performance from a one part white resin glue.
It claims to be the strongest wood glue - and water resistant too,
but not for use below the water line.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Keith October 14th 03 01:34 AM

Titebond II

I use it for bungs on the teak deck. I do notice that if some is left around
the new bung, it'll turn opaque when it rains for a couple of days, but
turns clear again when it dries. Good visible for me to scrape it off after
doing the bung work.

Ed Edelenbos October 14th 03 01:51 AM

Titebond II

I've used it for various applications and with excess pieces (like
trimmed edges and such), even ones that get left out in the weather,
I've never had one break at the joint... the wood breaks before the
glue joint.

When I was building guitars and such, I figured out why there are cases
where it shouldn't be used... because you may want to undo a glue joint.

Ed

--
The spam finally got to me.
To email me, change "spam" to "speak"

William R. Watt October 14th 03 03:19 AM

Titebond II

Brian Whatcott ) writes:

It claims to be the strongest wood glue - and water resistant too,
but not for use below the water line.

shear strenth 3,750 psi. water resistent but not waterproof. pot life
indefinite. clean up with water before it sets.

shear strength of epoxy is 15,000n psi and its waterproof.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Backyard Renegade October 14th 03 01:36 PM

Titebond II

(William R. Watt) wrote in message ...
Brian Whatcott ) writes:

It claims to be the strongest wood glue - and water resistant too,
but not for use below the water line.

shear strenth 3,750 psi. water resistent but not waterproof. pot life
indefinite. clean up with water before it sets.

And if it gets wet, it turns to runny snot. The stuff is just not for
boats and if you call the manufacturer they will tip toe around the
subject... Knowing you should not use it, but hoping you will buy it
anyway.
Scotty

shear strength of epoxy is 15,000n psi and its waterproof.

Jim Woodward October 14th 03 02:27 PM

Titebond II

I, too, use it for all sorts of things, but aside from limited water
resistance, it creeps, so should not be used in applications where it
is loaded continuously.

I find that if you keep a West setup with pumps installed in a shallow
bucket and save your margarine containers, you can mix a one stroke
batch of epoxy almost as fast as you can use white or yellow glue.
You can customize the epoxy with filler, too.

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

Glenn Ashmore October 14th 03 03:15 PM

Titebond II

I use Tightbond II for interior cabinetry but prefer polyurethanes if
the wood will be finished bright. Squeeze out of Tightbond II
interferes with the color when you stain or varnish unless you really
sand it down well. Polyurethanes scrape off clean. In no case do I use
Tightbond outside the boat.

Everything else is epoxy. I use the West single lever pump and solicit
cups from all the neighbors. Large curd cottage cheese for fairing,
soft cream cheese for bonding and Jello pudding for detail. :-)

Brian Whatcott ) writes:

It claims to be the strongest wood glue - and water resistant too,
but not for use below the water line.

shear strenth 3,750 psi. water resistent but not waterproof. pot life
indefinite. clean up with water before it sets.

shear strength of epoxy is 15,000n psi and its waterproof.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at:
http://www.rutuonline.com

Fred Williams October 14th 03 04:50 PM

Titebond II

Glenn, you missed the Taco Bell Pecante cups when just a dab will do :-)

Tite Bond II is all I use for wood working around the house. I have
projects like bird houses that have survived outdoors, but I would never use
it on my boat. That is what Epoxy is for, IMHO.

William R. Watt October 14th 03 04:57 PM

Titebond II

Glenn Ashmore ) writes:

Everything else is epoxy. I use the West single lever pump and solicit
cups from all the neighbors. Large curd cottage cheese for fairing,
soft cream cheese for bonding and Jello pudding for detail. :-)

we have municipal recyling in Ottawa. we put our plastic containers in
platic bins and put them out for pickup on garbage day. so its a simple
matter of walking around the neigbourhood on garbage day looking in
people's plastic bins for plastic containers. I don't use epoxy but do
ocassionaly find need for discarded plastic containers.

Titebond is "aliphatic" glue, yellow carpenter's glue, not water
resistent. I don't know what Titebond II is but one of my home handyman
books says there is a water resistent variety of aliphatic glue available.
Maybe that's what Titebond II is.

The shear strength I posted earlier was for Titebond II from the Lee Valley
Tools glue guide. It says Titebond II is only good for 3 freeze thaw
cycles so I wouldn't use it on boats up here in Canada.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Rodney Myrvaagnes October 14th 03 07:35 PM

Titebond II

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:50:05 GMT, "Fred Williams"
wrote:

Tite Bond II is all I use for wood working around the house. I have
projects like bird houses that have survived outdoors, but I would never use
it on my boat. That is what Epoxy is for, IMHO.

If the interior job involves continuous load, original Titebond is
less prone to creep than Titebond II.

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opionated old geezer

Faith-based economics: It's deja voodoo all over again

Denis Marier October 15th 03 02:24 AM

Titebond II

I would like to add my two cents.
Last spring I used Luan to make hatch doors for my boat.
Biscuits were used and the panel boards were washed with acetone and glued
with Titebond ll and pipe clamps.
The doors were coated with Behr Tung oil finish fortified with UVI. Several
coat were applied inside my garage.
They were my pride and joy. Then in mid August the panels were showing
signs of separations. Part lines began to be very visible. I then replaced
the new hatch doors with the old one made with Teak plywood..
I do not know what happened. Maybe the Luan is not compatible with Titebond
ll.
Now that I learned my lesson I'll go back to using epoxy on my boat.

Backyard Renegade October 15th 03 03:40 AM

Titebond II

Brian Whatcott wrote in message . ..
Yesterday, I was applying two by four doublers to one or two rafters
and perlins in the roofspace of the homestread, cracked or broken
after half a century's service. I left one doubler stud overnight,
with some Titebond carpenter's glue applied to one face.

This morning, I noticed I had left a fender washer on the glue face,
and the glue had set 15 hours later.
I tapped at the steel washer's edge to no avail, and finally hammered
it off. It came away with a surface layer of softwood.

I was more than impressed, not expecting such good metal/wood
bonding performance from a one part white resin glue.
It claims to be the strongest wood glue - and water resistant too,
but not for use below the water line.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

I think the ballots are in, and the majority of posts concur, it just
ain't good for boats..
Scotty

Brian Whatcott October 15th 03 05:39 AM

Titebond II

On 14 Oct 2003 02:19:04 GMT, (William R.
Watt) wrote:

Brian Whatcott ) writes:

It claims to be the strongest wood glue - and water resistant too,
but not for use below the water line.

shear strenth 3,750 psi. water resistent but not waterproof. pot life
indefinite. clean up with water before it sets.

shear strength of epoxy is 15,000n psi and its waterproof.

It happens I volunteered to reinforce the folding leg joints on some
church tables. To replace the two wood screws securing each saddle
on the legs, I used a metal insert with four woodscrews, and two studs
to hold each saddle. I was interested to glue the metal to the table's
underside too.
The strongest (advertized) tensile I could find in 2 part 24 hour
epoxy was 4500 psi. I usually find shear is a fraction of tensile for
the ordinary run of materials... Where did your data originate?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Denis Marier October 15th 03 11:29 AM

Titebond II

Well I had to learn the hard way "It says Titebond II is only good for 3
freeze thaw".
Further more, the temperature variation like near freezing at night to +
20-30C during the day will eventually cause ungluing.
I have also use LePage exterior glue with similar results.

Glenn Ashmore ) writes:

[...]

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

William R. Watt October 15th 03 01:02 PM

Titebond II

Watt) wrote:

Brian Whatcott ) writes:

It claims to be the strongest wood glue - and water resistant too,
but not for use below the water line.

shear strenth 3,750 psi. water resistent but not waterproof. pot life
indefinite. clean up with water before it sets.

shear strength of epoxy is 15,000n psi and its waterproof.

The strongest (advertized) tensile I could find in 2 part 24 hour
epoxy was 4500 psi. I usually find shear is a fraction of tensile for
the ordinary run of materials... Where did your data originate?

Lee Valley Tools adhesives guide. The testing was done on birch blocks.
homepage:
www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

William R. Watt October 15th 03 04:44 PM

Titebond II

William R. Watt ) writes:

Lee Valley Tools adhesives guide. The testing was done on birch blocks.

opps, my mistake. "Shear strengths are maple to maple blocks", not birch. :)

the epoxies tested are "G1", "G2", "Cold Cure", "205 West", and "206 West"
the West came out slightly lower at 14,000 psi.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Rick Tyler October 16th 03 03:15 AM

Titebond II

Brian Whatcott ) writes:

It claims to be the strongest wood glue - and water resistant too,
but not for use below the water line.

shear strenth 3,750 psi. water resistent but not waterproof. pot life
indefinite. clean up with water before it sets.

And if it gets wet, it turns to runny snot. The stuff is just not for
boats and if you call the manufacturer they will tip toe around the
subject... Knowing you should not use it, but hoping you will buy it
anyway.

Is it possible you are confusing Titebond with Titebond II? I've used
Titebond II on outdoor furniture without problems. I wanted to pull
apart a Titebond II joint and it finally came loose after I soaked it
in a bucket for two weeks. Regular yellow glue would not have been
that tenacious.

No, I do not use Titebond II for structural applications on boats.

- Rick Tyler
--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian

Rick Tyler October 16th 03 03:19 AM

Titebond II

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 01:24:54 GMT, "Denis Marier"
wrote:

I would like to add my two cents.
Last spring I used Luan to make hatch doors for my boat.
Biscuits were used and the panel boards were washed with acetone and glued
with Titebond ll and pipe clamps.
The doors were coated with Behr Tung oil finish fortified with UVI. Several
coat were applied inside my garage.
They were my pride and joy. Then in mid August the panels were showing
signs of separations. Part lines began to be very visible. I then replaced
the new hatch doors with the old one made with Teak plywood..
I do not know what happened. Maybe the Luan is not compatible with Titebond
ll.
Now that I learned my lesson I'll go back to using epoxy on my boat.

While I agree with your conclusion, I'm interested in the details of
your experience with Titebond II. Were your hatches cross-grain glued
at the ends? This will guarantee either failed joints or wood grain
splits. If it was a straight adhesive failure, that would be
interesting.

By the way, you could take the hatches, rip out the adhesive joints on
a table saw, and re-glue them with epoxy.

- Rick Tyler

Denis Marier October 16th 03 05:15 PM

Titebond II

Two doors were made. Each measuring 16" high X 25" wide X +3/8" thick.
Each door were made with 4" wide X 25" long Luan board with the grain
running from left to right horizontally. Biscuits were used with Titebond
ll and pipe clamps. At the end of each door bread boards (grain running
vertically ) were glued with biscuits, Titebond ll and pipe clamps. Then,
after a few months, sanding was done and the finish was applied.

Ron Thornton October 16th 03 11:12 PM

Titebond II

In the vague recesses of my mind I seem to recall Norm, of This Old
House, warning about over clamping Titebond II.

Ron

Denis Marier October 17th 03 12:01 AM

Titebond II

Recently I have used Titebond ll in making 3" square bed posts using clamps
with eastern white pine.
These posts are made for indoor. They at this time fine. The only thing is
that you can see a distinctive light gray line where the lamination has been
done. Heavy clamping can induce glued joint starvation.?

Denis Marier October 21st 03 05:05 PM

Titebond II

The thinness Piranha blade may have to wide of knerf. Now that the boat is
in the back yard. I may try to use a good scriber to separate the panels
and use epoxy. The biscuits will have to be cut off with a Japanese hand
saw.