pete

Default my interior vaneer is delaminating,..

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 01:39:30 -0700, ahoy wrote:

I used 1088 ply and glued a fitch (?) of excellent looking vaneer over
the top with elmers waterproof glue. I spread both surfaces and let
them dry then ironed the vaneer on. I looked perfect, very
professional and with the varnish was rather impressive though I say
it myself. So up it goes on the done-for-now shelf in my damp shop
which I use to simulate a boat environment. I take it down to fit 3
months later and discover large bubbles where the vaneer has lifted. I
tried another piece with west system as a glue but it soaked through
the vaneer in blotches and looked awful. thanks again.

I don't know of the type of glue you used, but I do a lot of
veneering, usually with pva glue which needs a press of some
description. I have used contact adhesives in the past and have found
that some panels often need two coats of glue, the first coat as a
primer to be soaked up, the next coat being the business one. This
does sound a bit like that sort of problem, where there doesn't sound
like there is enough glue in the fibres. Or just maybe the glue you
used was not up to the job.

As far as epoxy is concerned, on your first problem I would hazard a
guess that the mix was not so good; as far as veneering is concerned,
if the epoxy bleeds through, you might just need to use a proper
cabinet scraper on the epoxy patches, then sand and varnish and the
blotches will not be noticeable. Or use epoxy as a first finish coat,
then varnish.