patrick mitchel

Default Anybody tried glueing cast aluminum parts together with epoxy?

Regarding the corrosion of aluminum in bonding with epoxy..one of the
homebuilt aircraft was put together using the method of sanding the surface
through the still "wet" epoxy. The theory was the epoxy on the sanding
surface would minimize the corrosion.

Brian

some of the homebuilt aircraft groups may be able to help. I know of one
company that designs and builds reduction gears for the homebuilt market and
they use a glue along with mechanical fasteners (bolts). I believe that
they use a locktite product.

Brian

Mac

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:35:55 +0200, GeoffC wrote:

dazed and confuzzed wrote:

Aluminum is like silver. It oxidizes almost instantaneously.

It is this thin layer that fails when gluing parts. The adhesive bonds
to the oxide layer and the oxide fails, not the glue.

I wonder how the Lotus Elise stays together then? It has an aluminium
tub-chassis, constructed from aluminium extrusions bonded together with
epoxy resin.

It's not that you can't epoxy aluminum. Of course you can. You just have
to do good surface preparation first.

There are products designed for this. Someone mentioned an etch sold by
West Systems or something like that. I think there is something called
Marine Tex that bonds well to aluminum.

But in the OP's case, I would just use JB-weld to stick the piece back in,
then put a single layer of fiberglass/epoxy over the outside of the broken
piece, then paint. I would sand the area in the immediate vicinity of the
break down to bare metal and clean with acetone or alcohol prior to
applying the epoxy.

Surface preparation is EVERYTHING in bonding applications.

--Mac

Brian Whatcott

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 07:53:43 -0700, "patrick mitchel"
wrote:

Regarding the corrosion of aluminum in bonding with epoxy..one of the
homebuilt aircraft was put together using the method of sanding the surface
through the still "wet" epoxy. The theory was the epoxy on the sanding
surface would minimize the corrosion.

Reminds me of a sure fire stunt to pull on electronics technicians.

You ask them to bet you can't solder some aluminum alloy sheet strips
together with regular solder. They think it's a sure thing.

You prepare two strips, and scrape the surface with your pen-knife,

Then you place a blob of hot solder on the strip. (Of course it
doesn't tin) Then you scrape the strip through the melted solder.
It tins under the scrape, if its hot enough.
Soon you've scraped a good length of tinning on the strip, and you
prepare the other strip the same.

At that point, you sweat the two tinned strips together in the usual
way. Try pulling them apart. They will break away from the sweated
lap joint.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK