Robert or Karen Swarts

Default Vinyl coated stainless

The vinyl on the stainless guard lines on my sailboat has cracked and pealed
over the years. The stainless itself is perfect. Anyone know a product for
replacing the vinyl?

BS

Glenn Ashmore

Simplest and best solution is to remove the vinyl. It holds water against
the stainless and keeps oxygen out. Perfect recipe for crevasse corrosion.
Most offshore racing rules discourage or prohibit vinyl covered lifelines.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Robert or Karen Swarts" wrote in message
The vinyl on the stainless guard lines on my sailboat has cracked and
pealed over the years. The stainless itself is perfect. Anyone know a
product for replacing the vinyl?

BS

Brian Whatcott

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 16:51:27 -0700, "Robert or Karen Swarts"
wrote:

The vinyl on the stainless guard lines on my sailboat has cracked and pealed
over the years. The stainless itself is perfect. Anyone know a product for
replacing the vinyl?

BS

Vinyl coated gavanised aircraft cable is cheap. That might be an
alternative to consider?

Brian W

I'd replace it. I thought mine were good too, along with my shrouds
and stays that looked good. Then one day after reading an article
about shrouds breaking, I looked at each of the 20 yr old old fittings
with a magnifier and was amazed to see tiny, tiny cracks. Each crack
was revealed by a tiny brown streak where the steel in the crack had
become non-stainless, amazing. I replaced all of it.

Brian Whatcott

Hmmm...double braid polyester or a helical wrap synthetic with
polypropylene. Not sure about the UV and ozone resistance?

Brian W

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 08:59:12 -0700, "Gordon"
wrote:

Or go to sta-set.
.. .