OMOO

Default Charging cordless drill on boat ?

A friend bought a 19.2 v Sears cordless drill for use on his boat.
He's cruising now in Aust so no 110 VAC wall power. The charger won't
charge the 19.2 VDC battery on either his inverter or his Honda
generator. Sears doesn't have a 12VDC charger so now what.

Any ideas why and how to fix this ? Any possibility of a generic
charger that runs on 12 VDC? I don't know what the 110 VAC charger
puts out - maybe 25 V ??

OMOO

Correction/addition - what I should have said is that the fuse on the
110 VAC charger blows on both the inverter and the Honda - that's why
the battery doesn't charge.

A friend bought a 19.2 v Sears cordless drill for use on his boat.
He's cruising now in Aust so no 110 VAC wall power. The charger won't
charge the 19.2 VDC battery on either his inverter or his Honda
generator. Sears doesn't have a 12VDC charger so now what.

Any ideas why and how to fix this ? Any possibility of a generic
charger that runs on 12 VDC? I don't know what the 110 VAC charger
puts out - maybe 25 V ??

Rick & Linda Bernard

I am going to hazard a guess and say that the 120 VAC to 19.2 VDC charger
requires a good sine wave for operation. It could be that both the inverter
and the honda genset (I believe it has an inverter also - or at least the
web site said so) power output is a modified sine wave that does not get
correctly inverted to 120 VAC.

Perhaps he could try a pure sine wave inverter.... Mucho dinero!

"OMOO" wrote in message
Correction/addition - what I should have said is that the fuse on the
110 VAC charger blows on both the inverter and the Honda - that's why
the battery doesn't charge.

A friend bought a 19.2 v Sears cordless drill for use on his boat.
He's cruising now in Aust so no 110 VAC wall power. The charger won't
charge the 19.2 VDC battery on either his inverter or his Honda
generator. Sears doesn't have a 12VDC charger so now what.

Any ideas why and how to fix this ? Any possibility of a generic
charger that runs on 12 VDC? I don't know what the 110 VAC charger
puts out - maybe 25 V ??

Backyard Renegade

(MIDEMETZ) wrote in message ...
Try;
http://user.gru.net/n4uau/kits/Volta...e/apvb-kit.htm

****************************

A friend bought a 19.2 v Sears cordless drill for use on his boat.
He's cruising now in Aust so no 110 VAC wall power. The charger won't
charge the 19.2 VDC battery on either his inverter or his Honda
generator. Sears doesn't have a 12VDC charger so now what.

Any ideas why and how to fix this ? Any possibility of a generic
charger that runs on 12 VDC? I don't know what the 110 VAC charger
puts out - maybe 25 V ??

I saw these at Radio Shack the other day, $39.99 (US).
Ryk

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:55:53 -0700, in message

OMOO wrote:

Correction/addition - what I should have said is that the fuse on the
110 VAC charger blows on both the inverter and the Honda - that's why
the battery doesn't charge.

A friend bought a 19.2 v Sears cordless drill for use on his boat.
He's cruising now in Aust so no 110 VAC wall power. The charger won't
charge the 19.2 VDC battery on either his inverter or his Honda
generator. Sears doesn't have a 12VDC charger so now what.

If he has access to 220/240 shore power, then perhaps a 2:1 step down
transformer will solve the problem for the drill and any other AC
stuff on board. They are not too pricey, especially for a small load
like a drill charger.

Another possibility is that the charger draw on the non-ideal power is
a little higher in a transient way -- he could try a slow blow fuse of
the same rating.

Ryk
--
Unfortunately this address has been overrun by SPAM.
If you want to be sure I see email from you, then
Dazed and Confuzed

OMOO wrote:

A friend bought a 19.2 v Sears cordless drill for use on his boat.
He's cruising now in Aust so no 110 VAC wall power. The charger won't
charge the 19.2 VDC battery on either his inverter or his Honda
generator. Sears doesn't have a 12VDC charger so now what.

Any ideas why and how to fix this ? Any possibility of a generic
charger that runs on 12 VDC? I don't know what the 110 VAC charger
puts out - maybe 25 V ??

try an inverter?

--
Beer, it's not just for breakfast anymore.......

I agree with those that think the problem is due to using a non-sine
wave inverter. I've recently seen low power true sine wave inverters
advertised for a reasonable price, I think it might have been in the
Norther tool catalog. In any case, I suspect the inverter may still
cost more than a new drill as one writer said. If there is a valid use
for the sine wave inverter other than charging the drill, that may be an
option.

Jim.
OMOO wrote:

A friend bought a 19.2 v Sears cordless drill for use on his boat.
He's cruising now in Aust so no 110 VAC wall power. The charger won't
charge the 19.2 VDC battery on either his inverter or his Honda
generator. Sears doesn't have a 12VDC charger so now what.

Any ideas why and how to fix this ? Any possibility of a generic
charger that runs on 12 VDC? I don't know what the 110 VAC charger
puts out - maybe 25 V ??

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM