Mike Hurley

Default Can you identify this old boat?

I recently obtained some photos of a boat, "Cygnet," that my family
owned on Long Island Sound back in the 50's. No one seems to know
exactly what design she was or who built her, but what I have heard is
that she was a 42 footer and, of course, made of wood. You can see
the photos at http://www.paddleandportage.com/cygnet.htm. The two
photos you will see were probably taken around 1957. Please reply if
you think you know the design. Thanks!
FThoma

I recently obtained some photos of a boat, "Cygnet," that my family
owned on Long Island Sound back in the 50's. No one seems to know
exactly what design she was or who built her, but what I have heard is
that she was a 42 footer and, of course, made of wood. You can see
the photos at http://www.paddleandportage.com/cygnet.htm. The two
photos you will see were probably taken around 1957. Please reply if
you think you know the design. Thanks!

That bowsprit, sort of level to the water
instead of following the sheer suggests
that it might be a British design. Just a
thought.

Frank
Chris Reynolds

"FThoma" wrote in message
I recently obtained some photos of a boat, "Cygnet," that my family
owned on Long Island Sound back in the 50's. No one seems to know
exactly what design she was or who built her, but what I have heard is
that she was a 42 footer and, of course, made of wood. You can see
the photos at http://www.paddleandportage.com/cygnet.htm. The two
photos you will see were probably taken around 1957. Please reply if
you think you know the design. Thanks!

That bowsprit, sort of level to the water
instead of following the sheer suggests
that it might be a British design. Just a
thought.

Frank

Try Irish.I think the Royal Cork Yacht Club had a cutter called "Cygnet".

Cheers,
Chris

P.C. Ford

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 19:20:50 +0300, "Chris Reynolds"
wrote:

"FThoma" wrote in message
I recently obtained some photos of a boat, "Cygnet," that my family
owned on Long Island Sound back in the 50's. No one seems to know
exactly what design she was or who built her, but what I have heard is
that she was a 42 footer and, of course, made of wood. You can see
the photos at http://www.paddleandportage.com/cygnet.htm. The two
photos you will see were probably taken around 1957. Please reply if
you think you know the design. Thanks!

That bowsprit, sort of level to the water
instead of following the sheer suggests
that it might be a British design. Just a
thought.

Frank

Try Irish.I think the Royal Cork Yacht Club had a cutter called "Cygnet".

I am certainly no expert. However, the boat looks like common American
design type from the 20-30s: so-called spoon bow. Does not look like a
Brit boat to me.

Stephen Baker

She looks very similar, hull-wise, to a 36-foot linear rater from the turn of
the (last) century. if you have a copy of Folkard's "Sailing Boats from Around
the World", look on page 212/213, and imagine a shortened bowsprit and a
cruising cabin fitted to either of the two boats pictured.
Steve
Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer
http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/pr...cbweb/home.htm

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM