Jacques Mertens

Default Poplar plywood

Because of resistance to puncture, isotropic properties and stiffness.
Foam sandwich doesn't work for small boats. To get sufficient resistance to
puncture, the skins must have a minimum thickness. For mechanical reasons,
we should use tri or quadriaxial while with plywood only biaxial is needed.
A sandwich panel made that way would be heavier than a plywood-epoxy-glass
sandwich.
Once you get around 27', foam sandwich becomes a valid choice. With
vacuum-bagging and aramids, we could build smaller units, donw to 20' but
the cost would be very high.

PS: about poplar, there are no fasteners in our boats . . .
--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message

Why not make the panels of foam and skins, like vacume bagging?
Scotty

Backyard Renegade

"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message ...
Because of resistance to puncture, isotropic properties and stiffness.
Foam sandwich doesn't work for small boats. To get sufficient resistance to
puncture, the skins must have a minimum thickness. For mechanical reasons,
we should use tri or quadriaxial while with plywood only biaxial is needed.
A sandwich panel made that way would be heavier than a plywood-epoxy-glass
sandwich.
Once you get around 27', foam sandwich becomes a valid choice. With
vacuum-bagging and aramids, we could build smaller units, donw to 20' but
the cost would be very high.

PS: about poplar, there are no fasteners in our boats . . .

I know.. I am building one of your boats now... but of course, I will
be using no poplar
Scotty 8-)

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message

Why not make the panels of foam and skins, like vacume bagging?
Scotty

Brian D

I dunno ...the one and only guy (Homer, AK) I've met that has a lot of
vacuum bagging experience, as in "did it for a living down in Florida", said
it was not so easy to get right. I only met him just the once, and haven't
looked into it at all after that ...figured it might not be worth the
effort. What do you think?

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
"Brian D" wrote in message

And THAT is probably why I won't be able to find a lightweight plywood

for
the superstructure of my boat...the trade-offs aren't worth it. Denser

is
tougher, less dense is ...less dense, and all you get when you buy low
density wood. Anyone know of a marine grade foam core hardwood-veneered
product? Seems like I saw something like that somewhere. Note: Most of
this is academic and just fun to look into. I'm sure I'll end up using
standard marine ply of some kind in the end.

Brian

Why not make the panels of foam and skins, like vacume bagging?
Scotty

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message

. ..
We are talking about two different things.
The plywood we are testing is not a buck a truckload, it is not

plain
cheap
wood.

Poplar is poplar is poplar. Maybe they put some expensive glue or
coating on it to dress it up but poplar still has bad qualities, it
soaks up water like a sponge and gets soft, it expands tremendiously
and distorts, it discolors (turns black with moisture), and it rots
easily, does not hold fasteners well, etc. However, it seems that you
have long before asking us, made up your mind and used it... So I will
leave it alone from here on...
Scotty

Anyway, I got at least one interesting response about a similar

experiment
(thanks Paolo) and since I am very stuborn, I will keep testing.
What keeps me going is the memory of all the people who were

laughing at
my
first boat designed for Airex. Foam for a boat hull? It will never

work
they
said . . .

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message

The poplar plywood I am testing is listed here as "marine"

plywood:
http://www.worldpanel.com/eurolite.htm

I don't expect much distortion from a 5 ply 6mm ply with

melamine
glue,
saturated with epoxy and fiberglassed.

I am playing the devil's advocate here. I keep an open
mind about it and I am not ready to endorse it for such

applications. I
may
if my tests come out positive, I may not if I read about some

bad
experiences.

Thanks for your opinions and I would like to read more.

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

Well, I still think it is a bad idea, if for no other reason than

that
the stuff is a buck a truckload up here in the NE and I have

*never*
heard of *anyone* using is locally for anything to do with

boats...
Scotty from SmallBoats.com

Brian D

JM,

I was considering researching lightweight solutions for the
superstructure, not for the hull or structural components. See my boat
project web site below.

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Jacques Mertens

You don't have to vacuum bag foam necessarily.
For some interior parts, your cabin and especially for the roof, you could
use foam and fiberglass as if it was plywood.

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

Plywood limits ? VG Boat Building 8 September 10th 03 07:55 PM
Clinker built plywood kayak plans? Dan Bollinger Boat Building 1 September 1st 03 09:34 PM
Do plywood hulls absorb water & expand? Gary Warner Boat Building 5 August 18th 03 09:52 PM
Lumpy plywood Graaeme Boat Building 10 August 6th 03 05:01 AM