Jacques Mertens

Default Poplar plywood

No, I didn't. Please try again: we receive close to 1,000 spam emails a day.

"Paolo Zini" wrote in message

Anyway, I got at least one interesting response about a similar

experiment
(thanks Paolo) and since I am very stuborn, I will keep testing.

Do you have received my mail? I have sent it in the middle of virus storm

(i
have received UNDREDS of virus mails!) and you can have lost it...
Paolo

Paolo Zini

"Jacques Mertens" ha scritto nel messaggio
.. .
No, I didn't. Please try again: we receive close to 1,000 spam emails a

day.

Posted in the private message area of amateurboatbuiding forum...
Only to avoid the spam traffic...

Paolo

William R. Watt

otta filtre your email.
I get 4-5 unwanted mail messages per week.
My mail filtering strategy is in file www.ncf.ca/~ag384/e.mSpamFiltre.txt.
Some people find limiting the size of mail accepted to 600 lines gets rid of
most spam. I rejects all of the current worm spam.

"Paolo Zini" wrote in message

Anyway, I got at least one interesting response about a similar

experiment
(thanks Paolo) and since I am very stuborn, I will keep testing.

Do you have received my mail? I have sent it in the middle of virus storm

(i
have received UNDREDS of virus mails!) and you can have lost it...
Paolo

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Brian D

Anyone use Lite Ply, a poplar plywood made by North American Plywood? (See
www.naply.com )

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Dan Bollinger" wrote in message
I've done some laminating using cold-molded poplar veneers 1/10th inch
thick. It works well with epoxy and makes for a very strong, lightweight
laminate. The application wasn't for boat hulls, so I can't help you with
your moisture question.

"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message
I would like to know more about poplar plywood.
We did build a small test boat from it (our FL11) and in the shop it

looks
like a great material.
It is light and strong, does not split, bends well and absorbs resin

quite
well, a very good point for epoxy encapsulated boats.
It is a renewable resource and inexpensive.
The mechanical characteristics are perfect for our applications.
Several professional kayak builders and WEST Systems speak favorably of
poplar. I am certain that it is great plywood for small skiffs, kayaks,
canoes etc. That point is granted.
It may work for some of our sport fishing designs too but here comes the
question:
How is the resistance to rot and the moisture intake when used in a boat
that stays in the water for long periods of time? I am looking at hulls

that
are completely epoxy saturated and fiberglassed, where the plywood is a
core, not plain wooden boats.
I just fiberglassed some scrap poplar plywood, will paint the samples

and
sink them under my dock for a few months to measure changes but I would

love
to hear from builders with real world experience.
Does anybody have a boat build from poplar plywood and how is it doing?
Serious answers only please: no flames from "know-it-all" people

claiming
that this a stupid idea etc.
I did my research and compiled a good amount of data about it. No need

tell me that there are different types of poplar, populus and tulipifera

or
what the bending moment is. What I don't have is information about boats
build with that material.

Thank you in advance.

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

Paolo Zini

Posted in the private message area of amateurboatbuiding forum...
Only to avoid the spam traffic...

The mail in amateurboatbuiding forum, remains parked in "out" box, refuses
to pass in "sent" box...
if I mail to the mail bounces back...

Paolo

Andrew Butchart

I used poplar for sheer clamps on a OSS a three seasons ago. My cheap luan
plywood has delaminated in places, but the poplar still looks good. The
boat is generally kept under cover and has only paint on it FWIW.

--
Andrew Butchart

http://www.abutchartconsulting.com/sailing/ - The Floating Bear

[...]

Backyard Renegade

"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message . ..
We are talking about two different things.
The plywood we are testing is not a buck a truckload, it is not plain cheap
wood.

Poplar is poplar is poplar. Maybe they put some expensive glue or
coating on it to dress it up but poplar still has bad qualities, it
soaks up water like a sponge and gets soft, it expands tremendiously
and distorts, it discolors (turns black with moisture), and it rots
easily, does not hold fasteners well, etc. However, it seems that you
have long before asking us, made up your mind and used it... So I will
leave it alone from here on...
Scotty

Anyway, I got at least one interesting response about a similar experiment
(thanks Paolo) and since I am very stuborn, I will keep testing.
What keeps me going is the memory of all the people who were laughing at my
first boat designed for Airex. Foam for a boat hull? It will never work they
said . . .

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message

The poplar plywood I am testing is listed here as "marine" plywood:
http://www.worldpanel.com/eurolite.htm

I don't expect much distortion from a 5 ply 6mm ply with melamine glue,
saturated with epoxy and fiberglassed.

I am playing the devil's advocate here. I keep an open
mind about it and I am not ready to endorse it for such applications. I

may
if my tests come out positive, I may not if I read about some bad
experiences.

Thanks for your opinions and I would like to read more.

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

Well, I still think it is a bad idea, if for no other reason than that
the stuff is a buck a truckload up here in the NE and I have *never*
heard of *anyone* using is locally for anything to do with boats...
Scotty from SmallBoats.com

Brian D

The wood would be used for superstructure. I wonder if the bendy stuff
would be OK for a V-berth with nicer styling, if I supported it with
appropriate framing inside? Got me thinking now...

That Finnish Form Ply might be worth looking into. I know some people are
using MDO (medium density overlay) plywood, but I hesitate on that because
most outfits put unrepaired C grade plies inside. They use more plies than
standard BCX and that helps, but I'd have to hand pick the stuff AND I'd
want to do a peel test and boil test before buying into the stuff. No, what
I'm looking for is a "tough enough" rigid ply product for superstructure
that isn't too heavy.

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Doug" wrote in message
om...
"Brian D" wrote in message

Anyone use Lite Ply, a poplar plywood made by North American Plywood?

(See
www.naply.com )

Brian

Brian,

I looked at the Lite-Ply at the NAP site. We sometimes use that stuff
at work to build radiused die walls, cabinets, etc. We call it
"benderboard". It has basically zero structural integrity...all the
plies run the same direction. It's fantastic for bending, if that's
what you need, but you definitely couldn't use it for a hull.

Did you check out the Finnish Form Ply? Speaking from experience, that
stuff is virtually void-free, tough-as-nails(engineered for multiple
pours), and extremely water-resistant. It also has a paperlike coating
that WILL NOT delaminate, which would make painting a breeze. I see
they offer it in 1/4" thickness and long lengths...I wonder how much
$$$?

Doug

Brian D

And THAT is probably why I won't be able to find a lightweight plywood for
the superstructure of my boat...the trade-offs aren't worth it. Denser is
tougher, less dense is ...less dense, and all you get when you buy low
density wood. Anyone know of a marine grade foam core hardwood-veneered
product? Seems like I saw something like that somewhere. Note: Most of
this is academic and just fun to look into. I'm sure I'll end up using
standard marine ply of some kind in the end.

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message

. ..
[...]

Backyard Renegade

"Brian D" wrote in message news:QWscb.568478$YN5.404597@sccrnsc01...
And THAT is probably why I won't be able to find a lightweight plywood for
the superstructure of my boat...the trade-offs aren't worth it. Denser is
tougher, less dense is ...less dense, and all you get when you buy low
density wood. Anyone know of a marine grade foam core hardwood-veneered
product? Seems like I saw something like that somewhere. Note: Most of
this is academic and just fun to look into. I'm sure I'll end up using
standard marine ply of some kind in the end.

Brian

Why not make the panels of foam and skins, like vacume bagging?
Scotty

Plywood limits ? VG Boat Building 8 September 10th 03 07:55 PM
Clinker built plywood kayak plans? Dan Bollinger Boat Building 1 September 1st 03 09:34 PM
Do plywood hulls absorb water & expand? Gary Warner Boat Building 5 August 18th 03 09:52 PM
Lumpy plywood Graaeme Boat Building 10 August 6th 03 05:01 AM