sour (max camirand)

Default Buehler's Pogo Pogo

Howdy,
I'm thinking of building George Buehler's Happy Camper of Pogo Pogo,
for daysailing on Montreal's lac St-Louis.

http://georgebuehler.com/georgeimages/Pogo.jpeg

It'll be used by young whippersnappers, in addition to myself or my
father, to teach them how to sail.

The waters there are pretty darn shallow, though. I'm worried that the
draft, while not excessive at 2'3", is still a little much. My
question is, firstly, if anyone here has built or considered building
that boat.
Secondly, are there any good alternatives I should consider? The boat
should be easy and fairly cheap to build, as I am a novice.

-m
Rick Tyler

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 11:25:17 -0400, "sour (max camirand)"
wrote:

Howdy,
I'm thinking of building George Buehler's Happy Camper of Pogo Pogo,
for daysailing on Montreal's lac St-Louis.

snip

Happy Camper is a hugely heavy boat for a 17-foot (18-foot?)
daysailer. If you like the looks, go for it, but the world is full of
simpler, lighter boat designs. I'd check out the usual suspects:
www.duckworksmagazine.com, the Bolger design books, www.bateau.com,
WoodenBoat Magazine, www.bandbyachtdesigns.com, www.devlinboat.com,
www.gartsideboats.com, ...

Good luck!

- Rick Tyler

--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian