Graaeme

Default Lumpy plywood

I have been restoring a plywood boat approx 20yrs old & have noticed a
ridge in one sheet of ply running accross the sheet in a uniform
manner. I have removed paint down to the wood & everything seems OK,
no sign of damp or delaminating.
Is this quite normal for ply to do this or could there be an
underlying fault? If so is it best to just ignore it as it just seems
cosmetic to me. By the way its nowhere near the end of the sheet or
any other obvious weak point.

Thanx,
Graeme
P.C.

Hi

"Graaeme" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
I have been restoring a plywood boat approx 20yrs old & have noticed a
ridge in one sheet of ply running accross the sheet in a uniform
manner. I have removed paint down to the wood & everything seems OK,
no sign of damp or delaminating.
Is this quite normal for ply to do this or could there be an
underlying fault? If so is it best to just ignore it as it just seems
cosmetic to me. By the way its nowhere near the end of the sheet or
any other obvious weak point.

Thanx,
Graeme

You shuld not vorry, ------- this one you can se, acturly nomatter ply or wood,
a boatbuilder know af a few "repairs" that made it possible to use a plank
making it even better than one with no foults from the start, and if you check
how you fit veners together , you will know what your "foult" is.
With tradisional wood, you drill out knots and repair cracks, with Ply you shuld
be glad that this efford is done, producing an even better enginered wood
product, it's just a prove about quality you notised.
----------- Check how you make two pieces of veneer fit edge by edge.
P.C.

megabite

As you know, plywood is a "layered up" substrate that is produced under tons
of pressure utilizing a variety of glue and temps for various applications.
Many times I have taken back to the shop a sheet of Plywood with just such a
laminating flaw in it. Didn't do anything negative to my project, just ticks
me off cause, I don't see it in the dim lights of the Lumberyard. From my
experience , I'd say, it's a crease that got caught in the press and sneaked
passed Q.C.
om...