BoatBanter.com

-   -   Lumpy plywood (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/5862-lumpy-plywood.html)

Graaeme July 29th 03 03:39 PM

Lumpy plywood

I have been restoring a plywood boat approx 20yrs old & have noticed a
ridge in one sheet of ply running accross the sheet in a uniform
manner. I have removed paint down to the wood & everything seems OK,
no sign of damp or delaminating.
Is this quite normal for ply to do this or could there be an
underlying fault? If so is it best to just ignore it as it just seems
cosmetic to me. By the way its nowhere near the end of the sheet or
any other obvious weak point.

Thanx,
Graeme

P.C. July 29th 03 05:08 PM

Lumpy plywood

Hi

"Graaeme" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
I have been restoring a plywood boat approx 20yrs old & have noticed a
ridge in one sheet of ply running accross the sheet in a uniform
manner. I have removed paint down to the wood & everything seems OK,
no sign of damp or delaminating.
Is this quite normal for ply to do this or could there be an
underlying fault? If so is it best to just ignore it as it just seems
cosmetic to me. By the way its nowhere near the end of the sheet or
any other obvious weak point.

Thanx,
Graeme

You shuld not vorry, ------- this one you can se, acturly nomatter ply or wood,
a boatbuilder know af a few "repairs" that made it possible to use a plank
making it even better than one with no foults from the start, and if you check
how you fit veners together , you will know what your "foult" is.
With tradisional wood, you drill out knots and repair cracks, with Ply you shuld
be glad that this efford is done, producing an even better enginered wood
product, it's just a prove about quality you notised.
----------- Check how you make two pieces of veneer fit edge by edge.
P.C.

Backyard Renegade July 30th 03 03:27 PM

Lumpy plywood

0_Qed wrote in message ...
Backyard Renegade wrote:

(Graaeme) wrote in message . com...
I have been restoring a plywood boat approx 20yrs old & have noticed a
ridge in one sheet of ply running accross the sheet in a uniform
manner. I have removed paint down to the wood & everything seems OK,
no sign of damp or delaminating.
Is this quite normal for ply to do this or could there be an
underlying fault? If so is it best to just ignore it as it just seems
cosmetic to me. By the way its nowhere near the end of the sheet or
any other obvious weak point.

Thanx,
Graeme

My best guess is that it is a void in the under plys of the plywood.
Probably ran the full width or length of the plywood when the boat was
built. If it is visible from the top ply it is probably in the second
ply of the stock and origionally ran across the width of the plywood
or formed as the interior core ply expanded and contracted over the
years.... more likely it was there from the start though. The moisture
and air content behind that area is different than the rest of the
face so it ages, takes and releases moisture, etc, etc,... different
than the rest of the face, makes a "nice" line across your boat.;)
When building with exterior grade material, I look very closely for
these voids, they are indeed weak spots and on thinner plywood with
only three plys, they can lead to a crack out of the hull. Many times
you can hear/feel these voids if you run your hand across stock at the
lumberyard or look for the tell tale signs.
All this being said your boat having lasted this long was probably
designed and built with exterior ply in mind, it is probably just
cosmetic as you suggest, paint it nice and let er rip...
Scotty from SmallBoats.com

:-)

Most probably a " core lap " ...

Caused during the 'lay_up' of the indiv sheet ...
the core_layer ( person or machine ) over_lapped two adjacent pcs of
veneer ...
most typically the ply directly under the face or the back veneer ( 5
ply ),
or ...
the mid veneer in a 3 ply construction ...

If its 'exposed' to the water "side" ... not the best condition ...
a big NO-NO in a big hydro ...
live with it in a day sailer.

Sanding, after hot pressing, "tends" to temporarily hide the 'lap' ...
but, the sanding operation does reduce the face ply directly over the
'lap' ...
some lost strength in an important 'ply' ... the face ply.
Repeated wet/dry cycles accentuate the lap over time ...

A 'cause' for =must rejection= at a good state-side mill ...

Ahhh, your guess makes more sense based on his origional
discription... I was thinking the wood was more swolen there because
of a void behind it, I did not think about overlapping. Still all in
all sounds cosmetic.
Scotty from SmallBoats.com

0_Qed July 31st 03 01:36 AM

<:_)>: Lumpy plywood

Backyard Renegade wrote:
....snip...

Ahhh, your guess makes more sense based on his origional
discription...

Not a 'guess' ... :-)
Several years in the Doug Fir plywood indy ... QC function ...
MS in Wood Tech too ...

I was thinking the wood was more swolen there because
of a void behind it, I did not think about overlapping.

:-)
Core "Voids" are yet another consideration ...

Still all in all sounds cosmetic.

- Core Laps -
Sorry ... not 'so', at all.

In a sanded panel ...
it seriously degrades the bending modulus along(with) the face_ply
grain...

'Fresh' out of the hot press ... hard to visually see

In sanded panels , a bit easier to 'see' ...
*if* you're familiar with samded face_ply wood 'grain' patterns .
Some core-laps in sanded 3/4" cause the face-ply to be
sanded =entirely= thru ...
primarily due to the 'construction' ...
face/back = 1/8" ven
2 cross plies, 1 center ply = all of 3/16" ven
ttl = 5 plies ; 13/16" +\-
Envision a laped 3/16" cross ply going thru a sander .

Most scarfed panels are =rigorously= inspected along the panel edge
for just such 'defect' ... panels are rejected =prior= to scarfing ...

Perhaps an 'exception' mite be un_sanded sheathing grades ...

Floor underlayment is not an exception ... esp "PTS" grades

HTH

Backyard Renegade July 31st 03 01:43 PM

<:_)>: Lumpy plywood

0_Qed wrote in message ...
Backyard Renegade wrote:
...snip...

Ahhh, your guess makes more sense based on his origional
discription...

Not a 'guess' ... :-)
Several years in the Doug Fir plywood indy ... QC function ...
MS in Wood Tech too ...

I was thinking the wood was more swolen there because
of a void behind it, I did not think about overlapping.

:-)
Core "Voids" are yet another consideration ...

Yes, core voids is what I was referring to...

Still all in all sounds cosmetic.

- Core Laps -
Sorry ... not 'so', at all.

In a sanded panel ...
it seriously degrades the bending modulus along(with) the face_ply
grain...

When I suggested it was only cosmetic, I was taking into consideration
the idea that it had been in service for nearly 20 years with no
considerable degradation of the vessel... I am also assuming that the
builder was aware of the defect and as many of us do now (with the
****ty plywood available today) carefully place these defects in areas
where they are not going to effect the strength of the boat or the
integerity of the structure itself..
Scotty from SmallBoats.com

0_Qed August 1st 03 07:47 PM

<:_)>: Lumpy plywood

Backyard Renegade wrote:
....snip...
Core "Voids" are yet another consideration ...

Yes, core voids is what I was referring to...

'All things considered' ... :-)
voids arent as detremental as laps
BUT ...
in a 3_ply panel I'd not use it if the void( edgewize panel view )
was more than 0.75" x "panel_width", in a sanded 1/4" panel ...
Maybe make 'that' 0.50" ... :-)

When I suggested it was only cosmetic, I was taking into consideration
the idea that it had been in service for nearly 20 years with no
considerable degradation of the vessel...

On a larger hull ... 20' + ...
assuming UN_glassed exterior ... just painted plywood.

With out 'jigging' up the hull , torqueing it ... :-)
to see how the panel with the lap in it performed ...
I'd be leary of not repairing what I'd just discovered ... a lap.
Epoxy 'in' a backer panel, in side the hull ...
6" overlap, both sides of the core_lap , panel face 'grains in
same direction ... "AC" ext grade in same panel thickness

I am also assuming that the builder was aware of the defect

Not many folk inspect every edge, of every panel, going into a boat
hull.

and as many of us do now (with the
****ty plywood available today) carefully place these defects in areas
where they are not going to effect the strength of the boat or the
integerity of the structure itself..

Stick with Doug Fir(DF) plywood , exterior( marine grade ? ) ...
and mills that make 'scarfed' panels ...
Improves your chances of getting 'quality' panels ...
I'd even go so far as to locate an 'inland' DF mill source ...
as opposed to a coastal mill ...
"nicer" wood. :-)

Off -shore 'stuff' I dunno ...
I'd want to sample, & boil-test, the glue lines before I 'purchased'
for a boat hull .

Al August 1st 03 08:51 PM

<:_)>: Lumpy plywood

I'd even go so far as to locate an 'inland' DF mill source ...
as opposed to a coastal mill ...
"nicer" wood. :-)

how much of a difference does the coast/inland factor affect the quality of
timber? A timber supplier here in the UK supplies US Doug Fir but specifies
whether it is coastal or inland which made me curious about their relative
qualities particularly with regard to a boat building application.

Glenn Ashmore August 5th 03 01:11 AM

<:_)>: Lumpy plywood

Ric C wrote:
Is Doug Fir acceptable as substitute for okume? What about MDO?

Once you have used a sheet of 1088 or even the cheaper 6566 grade okoume
or meranti you will wonder how the US plants can sell what they call
"marine grade fir" with a straight face.

Even worse, after the local retailer puts his mark up on it, marine
grade fir cost more than a sheet of imported 6566 okoume.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Ric C August 5th 03 03:15 PM

<:_)>: Lumpy plywood

It's for a hard chine, flat panel catamaran. I won't use endangered imported
wood. I think we have plenty in this country and we manage to make it
sustainable, which is actually cool.

Weight is important, so is durability. DF is plenty strong. I can use core
cell but I don't really want to have to glass the interior. I will though if
I don't find an alternative.

Plans call for 9 mm Okume w/ 9 oz glass outside.

9mm MDO w/glass? or 6 mm DF inside and 3 mm coremat/core cell and 18 oz
glass outside?

Thank you

Ric

"0_Qed" wrote in message
Ric C wrote:
Is Doug Fir acceptable as substitute for okume?

Lumber or plywood ?

Depends on the comparative strengths ...
& the glue_line if plywood.

What about MDO?

MDO is a resin impreg paper overlay ... cures hard & brittle ...
typically on/over a DF plywood panel ...
Suspect on curved applications .

megabite August 6th 03 04:18 AM

Lumpy plywood

As you know, plywood is a "layered up" substrate that is produced under tons
of pressure utilizing a variety of glue and temps for various applications.
Many times I have taken back to the shop a sheet of Plywood with just such a
laminating flaw in it. Didn't do anything negative to my project, just ticks
me off cause, I don't see it in the dim lights of the Lumberyard. From my
experience , I'd say, it's a crease that got caught in the press and sneaked
passed Q.C.
om...