Bob La Londe

Default An interesting Boat

I saw an intersting boat along side the road the other day. Not sure if I
want to get into it or not. Basically there was a fiber glass hull and a
fiberglass deck laying on the ground with a for sale sign. It said it comes
with a motor. What the heck I called the number to see how much.

The lady at the other end said it comes with a 115 HP Merc and I could have
the whole mess for $800 dollars.

At first I though it was boat somebody had torn apart, but it is actually an
unfinished fiberglass kit. I guess it comes as a deck and hull and you
provide the rest.

Hmmmmmm........

I do have a trailer about that size I could haul it with. I haven't chopped
up the boat that is on it so it will fit in the dumpster, but.......

Hmmmmm.......

I think I need to go look at it again.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Ron Magen

Bob,
If the Merc runs, you actually have to THINK about this one ??!!

Grab the motor & equipage . . . sort the rest out later.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
SNIP
The lady at the other end said it comes with a 115 HP Merc and I could

have
the whole mess for $800 dollars.

SNIP

Brian Whatcott

If the Merc is functional, buy it.
You can haul the boat off to the dump, as necessary.
This is a prime way to buy an outboard.

Brian W

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:12:14 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I saw an intersting boat along side the road the other day. Not sure if I
want to get into it or not. Basically there was a fiber glass hull and a
fiberglass deck laying on the ground with a for sale sign. It said it comes
with a motor. What the heck I called the number to see how much.

The lady at the other end said it comes with a 115 HP Merc and I could have
the whole mess for $800 dollars.

At first I though it was boat somebody had torn apart, but it is actually an
unfinished fiberglass kit. I guess it comes as a deck and hull and you
provide the rest.

Hmmmmmm........

I do have a trailer about that size I could haul it with. I haven't chopped
up the boat that is on it so it will fit in the dumpster, but.......

Hmmmmm.......

I think I need to go look at it again.

Larry

Bob said: I do have a trailer about that size I could haul it with. I
haven't chopped
up the boat that is on it so it will fit in the dumpster, but.......

I bought a nice galvanized trailer a couple years ago, that happened to come
with a 19' BellBoy hull.

Instead of disposal, I pressure washed it and put a $500 price tag on it. It
was parked out in front of the local restaurant and I had two fellows
fighting over it. One went to a phone to call me while the other showed up,
so they were arguing over who was there first when I showed up. One wrote
out a check so I dropped it off in his yard.

Saved me from "hauling to the dump". Only paid $500 for the whole mess
anyway.

Larry

[...]

Al

Im hijacking the thread title for a moment. I was up in the English Lakes
recently and visited the Windermere Steamboat Museum. Because of the sad
man I am, I was far more interested in the small sailing, rowing and
paddling craft than in the big steam launches, and I spotted a rather
interesting little ~10 footer. If you think of cold moulding using strips
of veneer where you might set two layers of veneer at 90 degrees to one
another and then glue with epoxy you'll get rought what the hull looked
like. Attractive near-wine glass stern, pleasent bow form and an almost
barrel like turn to the bilge. But the odd thing about this boat (which I
at first took to be cold moulded) was the existence of a large number of
rivets. It was in fact a canvas sandwich, the two layers of wood were
riveted to each other (as in cold moulding you would glue) to get a complex
hull shape in wood that was very strong and very lightweight, but because at
the time of it's construction adhesive and caulking wasn't up to the job, a
layer of canvas was placed between the wood layers. It was an absolutely
gorgeous little boat, very shapely curves, everything in perfect proportion.
But it's interesting because this is the first time that I've seen this sort
of rivetted cold moulded type construction. Has anyone else seen this?
Obviously the modern cold moulded alternative is far superior in terms of
strength and weight, but it was so unusual and beautifully done that it
really rather made my day.

Al

HardwareLust

"Fred Williams" wrote in message
Ah, A pure example of the "greater fool" theory!

EBay, baby. Anything some schmuck will pay $500 is worth $1k on EBay at
least.

EBay is the *ultimate* expression of the 'greater fool' theory.

Fred Williams

"HardwareLust" wrote in message

"Fred Williams" wrote in message
Ah, A pure example of the "greater fool" theory!

EBay, baby. Anything some schmuck will pay $500 is worth $1k on EBay at
least.

EBay is the *ultimate* expression of the 'greater fool' theory.

Carefull there! MY wife resembles that remark! :-) At least she also sells
stuff there as well. I'm at least hopping I'm (she is) breaking even on
EBay.

Al

Ok, an interesting boat thread..

No I haven't seen that type of construction, but, as a teenager, in the

60's, I
saw a row boat that was very old, but looked like it was fiberglass.

It was varnished burlap!

it makes you think about how some techniques developed. If anyone is ever
over in the UK, I'd recommend the Steamboat Museum, there are also a number
of absolutely gorgeous clinker boats in there which although built to the
then workboat standard are built to the kind of standards of workmanship
most of us can only aspire to (I guess because after a lifetime building
them you get good).

Another boat which intrigued me was a K4 four man kayak. The hull shape was
reminscent of a rowing four's hull. I know of one or two boats that may
shortly be going for scrap, so I'm tempted to rip out the fittings and get
it down to a bare hull and set it up for four paddlers for a laugh. We'd
probably go swimming, but it'd be fun to try...

Sadly I when I got there I realised my camera had gone west and so I didn't
get any pics, I was going to do a brief report and send it to Chuck at
Duckworks (since I can't afford a subscription ;-))

Al

Larry

Ah, A pure example of the "greater fool" theory!
Kinda. But in this case the hull was in good shape, I just did not need it.
It's not like I was selling "snake oil".

I guess my point was that there is value in everything. And in this case
maybe somebody could use Bob's hull, take care of his disposal problem, and
he could gain a few bucks in the process.

At least that's the plan :-)

Larry