Bob Hill

Default tar for hemp and marline

Anybody know how to make tar for use in tarring rigging (hemp and marline)?
Ian Malcolm

Bob Hill wrote:

Anybody know how to make tar for use in tarring rigging (hemp and marline)?

The major pre oil well source of tar was from the Baltic. The preferred
tar for most naval applications was Stockholm tar. I believe this was
produced by destructive distillation of pine wood. Heat pine twigs,
shavings, chips, needles, bark, small branches &ect. strongly over a fire
in an airtight container equipped with a vent tube leading to a
condenser. One of the fractions that comes off is tar, another should be
turpentine, there are also more volatile fractions like wood alcohol and
possibly acetone.

Or did you really mean 'Anybody know how to PREPARE tar for use tarring
rigging (hemp and marline)?' ?
ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Uffa Fox designed, All varnished hot moulded
wooden racing dinghy circa. 1961

Brian Whatcott

Here's an old note by Gene Smith from the
Baidarka mail list, with a recipe for
pine tar slush:

From: Gene Smith
Subject: baidarka Pine Tar
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998

A typical "downeast" deck finish formula from Maine:
1 quart Turpentine
1 quart Boiled Linseed Oil
1/2 pint Japan Drier
1/2 pint Pine Tar

I suspect that "mast slush" and other slush formulas had a bit more
pine tar in them. I just made up a half-gallon of this formula to
paint on my cart used as a prop at Texas Renaissance Festival, which
is, of course, built like a little boat on a big wheel. Think I'll put
it on my homemade wood and leather clogs as well. Pine tar is one of
those smells you either hate or love. Sailors used to paint it on hand
sewn canvas clothes for a water proofing of sorts - hence the
reference to them as "tars". Capt. Pete Culler in various places in
his books makes a very good case for using something like this rather
than paint on the inside of working skiffs.
While it probably wouldn't "waterproof" canvas covering as well as
more modern paints, there is at least one instance I know of where
pine pitch was used to seal up a catamaran that successfully went
transatlantic.

Gene Smith

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:45:02 -0700, Dave Fleming wrote:

Anybody know how to make tar for use in tarring rigging (hemp and marline)?

Don't make it buy it. It is Pine Tar. Can be obtained from farm supply
outfits at a much cheaper price than at boatie shops...if they have
it. Or search the web for a mail order place.
You are after a mixture called 'slush'. Search under that too.
Or post an e-mail to one of the Maritime Museums and see if their
rigging shops will provide you with a recipe.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/djf3rd
Tales of a Boat Builder Apprentice

Glenn Ashmore

You can still get Stockholm tar at veterinary and horse supply houses.
About the only use for it these days is a remedy for thrush on horses'
hooves.

John Kohnen wrote:
Brion Toss gives a recipe for slush to use on served standing rigging:

6 parts Stockholm Tar
3 parts Boiled Linseed Oil
1 part Japan Drier
1 part Spar Varnish

He says the tar you use makes a difference, use Stockholm tar if you can
find it.

For rigging served with nylon (tarred nylon seine twine is good) Toss says
Net Dip from the fishery supply store works good.

--
John
http://www.boat-links.com/

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Charles Erskine

This company sells Stockholm tar for marine purposes:

http://www.tarsmell.com

You can also get Port Townsend tar:

http://www.woodenboat.org/store/folder.asp?f=161