Bill Mc

Default lapstrake rabbet

Anywhere on web for details on how to rabbet cut for lapstrake ends?
Thanks
P.C.

Hi

"Bill Mc" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
Anywhere on web for details on how to rabbet cut for lapstrake ends?
Thanks

There is different rules all depending thickness of planking and if the grove is
in both overlapping planks as they shuld, or you cheat a little and make some
being on only one plank., ------ but with inch planking the length is usealy
round one and a halve feet thereabout, and with halve inch some feet will
normaly be enough.
Now the grove don't harm anything, so making it longer just perform a more
smooth ending , but somtimes you can even get the grove down to halve a feet ,
but this all depend what design and type of vessel.
Others proberly point to other measures but still this depend on many things and
your own judgement and skills proberly show best.
P.C.

Wiz

Anywhere on web for details on how to rabbet cut for lapstrake ends?

Bill,

Don't know about the web, but I can send you to a couple of print sources.

Your question is a bit ambiguous, so let's make sure I know what you want.

When you say "rabbet" that means the line in the keel, stem, or stern where the
planks end. If you are talking about the location where two planks start to
"blend" in to one another, eventually coming to a single thickness at the
rabbet, those are called the "gains". I believe this is what you want
explained, eh?

The best photos and explanations I've ever seen on the topic of gains are from
Tom Hill and from Sam Manning; each has an article in old WB showing pictures
and drawings, respectively, along with explanations. These issues are earlier
than #60, and could be found by searching WoodenBoat's website.

In the case of Tom Hill, I'm pretty sure the pictures and explanation came out
of his book on Ultralight Boatbuilding. You can probably still buy that one.

Best/Carron
"LABOR SVGIT"
Wiz

Is the gain's "depth of cut" starts from 1/2 of thickness at the end,
and tapers out to 0 depth at approx 1 1/2ft from the end? Width is
constant 1 1/4in.
I will make a router jig.

Bill,

this is really easily done with a bull-nosed hand plane, and it gives you an
excuse to buy a really neat tool !!!

Cheers/The fader
"LABOR SVGIT"
Meindert Sprang

"Bill Mc" wrote in message
om...
Yeap, the Gain is what I'm after, tom hill s book is at my local
public library.
Is the gain's "depth of cut" starts from 1/2 of thickness at the end,
and tapers out to 0 depth at approx 1 1/2ft from the end? Width is
constant 1 1/4in.

I used a power plane to do that. Divide the total length in four equal parts
and mark them. Set the plane to 1/5 of the maximum depth you want to make
this gain (1/2 plank thickness). Plane from the first quarter marker to the
end of the plank. Then another sweep from the second marker to the end. A
third sweep from the third marker to the end and two final sweeps over the
full length. Done.

Meindert

P.C.

Hi

"Meindert Sprang" skrev i en meddelelse
I used a power plane to do that. Divide the total length in four equal parts
and mark them. Set the plane to 1/5 of the maximum depth you want to make
this gain (1/2 plank thickness). Plane from the first quarter marker to the
end of the plank. Then another sweep from the second marker to the end. A
third sweep from the third marker to the end and two final sweeps over the
full length. Done.

Meindert

Exactly , ----------- and then a guide piece clamped on, to rest the rabbet
plane to do the finish.
BTW, -------- check these instructive drawings ;

http://w1.1396.telia.com/~u139600113/plotfile.JPG

P.C.

P.C.

Hi

"P.C." skrev i en meddelelse
k...
Hi

"Meindert Sprang" skrev i en meddelelse
I used a power plane to do that. Divide the total length in four equal parts
and mark them. Set the plane to 1/5 of the maximum depth you want to make
this gain (1/2 plank thickness). Plane from the first quarter marker to the
end of the plank. Then another sweep from the second marker to the end. A
third sweep from the third marker to the end and two final sweeps over the
full length. Done.

Meindert

Sorry I placed the wrong link , this is the one ;:

http://w1.1396.telia.com/~u139600113/detail.htm

P.C.

Dave W

There is a nice explanation of lapstrake gains at the ends in Howard
Chapelle's book BOATBUILDING. It is a classic for all small boat builders.
IMHO, it is best made with a rabbit plane and it is a lot easier than it
looks.
Dave
"P.C." wrote in message
k...