Wiz

Default lapstrake rabbet

Anywhere on web for details on how to rabbet cut for lapstrake ends?

Bill,

Don't know about the web, but I can send you to a couple of print sources.

Your question is a bit ambiguous, so let's make sure I know what you want.

When you say "rabbet" that means the line in the keel, stem, or stern where the
planks end. If you are talking about the location where two planks start to
"blend" in to one another, eventually coming to a single thickness at the
rabbet, those are called the "gains". I believe this is what you want
explained, eh?

The best photos and explanations I've ever seen on the topic of gains are from
Tom Hill and from Sam Manning; each has an article in old WB showing pictures
and drawings, respectively, along with explanations. These issues are earlier
than #60, and could be found by searching WoodenBoat's website.

In the case of Tom Hill, I'm pretty sure the pictures and explanation came out
of his book on Ultralight Boatbuilding. You can probably still buy that one.

Best/Carron
"LABOR SVGIT"