Brian Nystrom

Default Which sealent?

Brian Hamilton wrote:

Hi,
I have just bought some hatches for the Kayak that I'm building. The shop
that I bought them from suggested that I use 3M type of sealant to "glue"
them to the deck.

I have used epoxy in the build of the kayak and would use it for the hatches
as I have faith in it. However, the hatch rims are mad of some type of
polythene and I don't think I will get a good adhesion.

Which sealant should I use and will it be strong enough?

I would bolt the rim on as well but this will leave the unsightly heads
showing on the deck.

Any hints would be gratefully received.

By the way I'm in Scotland if that makes any difference to the brand names
of products.

You could use 3m 5200 (permanent), 4200 (removable), Lexel or Marine GOOP. All
will do the job.

--
Regards

Brian