Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Russ B

Default Lumber questions

I've been perusing some old boat plans, and have a question regarding the
sizes of boards. "Back in the day" when some of these plans were written,
lumber was actually the size it was sold to be. Now, a 1x4 may be as little
as 3 1/4 in. wide (as measured at local Lowe's home improvement center).
How does one compensate for this when building from old plans?

I was also apalled by the prices for REALLY knotty boards labelled as "top
choice". By the way, what is "white wood" anway??? Is good lumber really
that scarce? About 20 years ago I worked in home construction during the
summers, and even the cheapest boards we used as bracing were longer,
straighter, and a whole lot clearer than the junk I saw at Lowe's.

Russ B

Airboat engine questions kevin General 5 July 6th 04 12:07 PM
Boating exam questions Thank You General 3 May 29th 04 05:59 PM
Misc. Electrical / Dash Questions Douglas St. Clair General 4 April 1st 04 02:59 PM
Off the wall head questions chuck h General 8 December 13th 03 01:06 PM