alex

Default Titanium boat hulls

Jax,you are 100% rite.

Caribmon

Aliminum? After 7 hurricanes in the Caribbean, I have seen aluminum
boats fared the worst, often ending up in peels (yes, as in strips).
And I have seen over 1000 boats go down and on the rocks in St.
Maarten's, Simpson Bay Lagoon and from my personal observation feel
that aluminum does not stand up to the test. Cement boats fared
better. Steel the best. Fiberglass the worst.
G. Harper

Great, now you have listened to a few ideas.
Here's mine,
Check prices for Titanium panel on mcmaster.com
You had better have a lot of money to use titanium for anything.

PVC will be a great source once technology gets to strengthening and
hardening methods to create PVC suitable for aquatic use.

There was a model I read through on a web page from reading one of the
boating newsgroups once. They use a small hull with large inflatable
tubes around. The big diesel is used for towing broken down racing
sailing vessels from far out. Their plans listed 44 knots while
towing. Also the heavy engine acts as the lever to make the craft
self-righting.
This plan would place a 50' craft upwards of 1/2 million bucks if done
correctly.
Using titanium, you'd probably touch 100 times that.
Just a thought,
GH

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 09:12:45 +1000, "Christo"
wrote:

I'm not sure how flexible titanium is when it has been hardened, by heat
treatment.
I guess you would have to look at the processes that have been implemented
by jet fighters that have been made from titanium, and the titanium
submarines, and come up with a process that is suitable for boating
conditions.
One of the big advantages of titanium is that it is so corrosive resistant,
and would require less painting and descaling.
I know that titanium may not be the only answer to making hulls lighter and
stronger, and is not the easiest material to use and source, but I think
that when someone comes up with the right process, it will be a winner.

I welcome all comments and information that anyone may have on titanium
boats.

Kind regards
Chris Winton
www.titaniumboats.com

============================

Earl Colby Pottinger

"auerbach" :

Perhaps titanium prices have fallen dramatically in the interim? (g)

"Brian Nystrom" wrote
This thread is nearly a year old. Why are you dredging it up?

They have not yet, but they soon will as there is now a new process coming
online that will drop the price of raw titanium by a huge amount. Notice the
use of 'raw', labour and metal processing costs will still make titanium just
about the most expensive usable metal to make a boat out of.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Interesting boat ride...... Gould 0738 General 21 October 21st 03 02:00 AM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM